Layering in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn00b4

Reaction score
After I racked into secondary I noticed this a few hours later:
qigZA.jpg

It's not a trick of the light, when I move the carboy the layer starts to dissolve but then comes back after a while.

I hit both my original and final gravities. Just wondering what this is and if it's going to affect the flavor..

I used this kit: http://www.greatfermentations.com/Phat-Tire-Kit/productinfo/BKA023/

Malts Used:
Light Dry Malt Extract
40ºL Crystal Malt
Light Munich Malt
Crisp Amber Malt
Biscuit Malt
Aromatic Malt

Hops Used:
Perle

Yeast Suggestion: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale (liquid smack pack)

OG: 1.052FG: 1.014 HBU's: 3.3

I don't know what causes it but I've seen that when transferring my meads. Went away after a day or so.

It's just settling in my opinion so give it some time and you should be fine. Ask Anita or anyone else next time your are in Great Fermentations.

Glad to bump into another GF customer! I recently just had my first brew from their Amarillo Face Kit (Gumball Head Clone) and it is pretty damn spot on. It's only been in the bottles for a week and tastes great already. I've switched to AG about every other batch or so to play around, but always have something "for sure" ready to go as a back-up and their kits are pretty accurate clones. I am happy to give them my business and support them!

Happy brewing!

Is Anita 5'6" and skinny? I think I saw her today, got a brewer's best oktoberfest kit. I asked about getting set up to do AG, but I think I'm going to create my own mash tun instead of paying for a pre assembled one.

Anyways, thanks for settling my concerns, I'll let it be and drink up some of my milk stout that finished carbonating in my keg in the mean time :)

Latest posts

Back