Infection? Fermentation looking weird...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegnation

Reaction score
I am trying to brew a flanders red to be aged in an oak barrel and had a slight problem when I was brewing. I underestimated the amount of wort I would need to complete a 90 min boil(to eliminate DMS). After I sparged for my standard 6.5 gallon pre-boil amount I gathered another 2 gallons to do an experimental stovetop batch with some different yeast and hops. (just what I had laying around.
After I realized I didn't have enough to get my required 5.5 gallons I dumped what I had brewed on the stovetop back in the kettle and cooled as one batch and pitched US-05 on it all.

Here's the original grain bill-

5.25 lb Pilsener
5.25 lb Vienna
1 lb Munich
.5 lb White Wheat
.5 lb Aromatic
.5 lb CaraMunich
.5 lb Special B
.8 oz EKG 60 min

Everything is exactly the same in the stovetop brew of course except I threw about a 1//2oz of citra in @30.

Does it look like somethings off in the fermentation and should I be worried about using the citra?
Thanks for the help!!

ferment3.jpg

ferment.jpg

ferment1.jpg

Those bubbles are what had me worried, usually they aren't that large and they had kind of an 'oily' look to them.

Looks like normal yeast to me also.

However, what's not normal is fermenting a Flanders Red with US-05. Are you going to introduce bugs in the barrel? Any reason you're not introducing bugs already? This is a batch I would want to be "infected."

Looks like normal yeast to me also.

However, what's not normal is fermenting a Flanders Red with US-05. Are you going to introduce bugs in the barrel? Any reason you're not introducing bugs already? This is a batch I would want to be "infected."

Yes, we're going to introduce the 'bugs' in the barrel. I didn't want to infect my siphon or risk having contamination on anything else for future brews. There are some others in the club that have pitched in primary though.
Thanks for the help!

Back