The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How much yeast is lost during blow-off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default How much yeast is lost during blow-off?

I made a 2qt starter on Tuesday, and stepped it up to 4qt on Wednesday afternoon right about at high kraeusen. The Temperature has been at a steady 67°. The yeast is first generation washed WLP004 and will be for a 10 gallon batch of a Sweet Stout. It has been in the fridge for at least 6 months. I suspected I was going to have a blow off, but this thing volcanoed for a few hours before the krauesen fell.

Here is the starter, I got home about 5 hours after pitching the 2qt step-up.

I had a huge foil dome over the top of it (removed for photo) since there was no way a foil cap was staying on. Although, I think that the yeast in there would out compete any predators trying to invade.

I was wondering how much yeast is lost during a blow-off, and of what quality the yeast is (ie. more/less flocculent)?.

My starter is on a stirplate, so I'm assuming that since all the yeast is in suspension, the blow off contains all types of cells (more and less flocculent).

Could someone throw out a number in percentages maybe the quantity of viable cells lost, and the quality of those cells?

FWIW, I need to get a 5L flask, however, even with the additional 1L of headspace, I think I would have still had an eruption.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 02-11-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: grammatical error.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

A meaninglessly small percentage. Weight the foam and compare it to the weight of the starter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
droopy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its a total loss. Better give it to me.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Can't tell you how much yeast is lost during a blow off but from the sounds of the size of your starter and the looks of how active it is you should be fine.

BTW - I like the juxtposition of the diffuser on top of the toilet tank with the frothing starter. Looks like something one would see in a modern art gallery

Montanaandy

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
its a total loss. Better give it to me.
Alright, I'll send you the foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
BTW - I like the juxtposition of the diffuser on top of the toilet tank with the frothing starter. Looks like something one would see in a modern art gallery
Montanaandy
I never even thought of that when taking the photo, but now that you point it out...

It does smell quite good in there, the starter totally overpowers the diffuser

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 02-11-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply