Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hmmm...White Spots?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
XLT_66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hmmm...White Spots?

Hey guys, so I've been brewing up at the office lately and just racked into my secondary beginning of last week. I checked on the batch before I left Friday afternoon and the it looked the same as it had all week. Not much going on, pretty dormant really... The surface of the beer was uniform without any bubbles or anything.

Today, (the following Monday) I went in to check on the batch and their are probably about 10 dime sized white patches on the surface of the brew. They appear to just be very very small bubbles grouped together but I can't tell for sure. I don't think they are a floating "mass" of sorts like a mold but I not 100%.

Anyone else see this happen? This is my 7th batch of homebrew and I've never seen these white bubbles occur in my secondary before. I feel good about my sanitizing process then again...

What do you guys think? Should I see if I can "remove" the mass or do something to determine if it is all bubbles and no mold?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Tiny clusters of bubbles on the surface in the secondary is pretty common. (Almost as common as folks mistaking them for mold. )

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
XLT_66
Recipes 

So glad to hear that. Thanks buddy.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If it is by chance mold, it won't take long for that to be VERY obvious. Those patches will probably spread out RAPIDLY.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLT_66 View Post
Hey guys, so I've been brewing up at the office lately and just racked into my secondary beginning of last week. I checked on the batch before I left Friday afternoon and the it looked the same as it had all week. Not much going on, pretty dormant really... The surface of the beer was uniform without any bubbles or anything.

Today, (the following Monday) I went in to check on the batch and their are probably about 10 dime sized white patches on the surface of the brew. They appear to just be very very small bubbles grouped together but I can't tell for sure. I don't think they are a floating "mass" of sorts like a mold but I not 100%.

Anyone else see this happen? This is my 7th batch of homebrew and I've never seen these white bubbles occur in my secondary before. I feel good about my sanitizing process then again...

What do you guys think? Should I see if I can "remove" the mass or do something to determine if it is all bubbles and no mold?

+1 on the "no problem it is bubbles". I get this quite a bit depending on the brew. Looks very white because of how dense the bubbles are packed, especially if sitting in a group that is not as compact. Take a flashlight, shine on the white spots and the fact that it is bubbles should be clear. If not, then you have a different issue.

Currently have a Bavarian Hefeweiss that has this characteristic.

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
XLT_66
Recipes 

Thanks for the help guys. The bubbles just kind of dispersed about a day after I posted.

At first glance though, I thought it was mold for sure!

Quick Reply