funny fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melauger

Reaction score
Ok so my girlfriends been pregnant for what feels like ages now. She's do any day now and I made a blue berry low ibu ale for her. I brewed it up about five days ago. Within six hours it was bubbling very fast. But by day three there was nothing. I checked the gravity at 1020 when it was originally 1062. Same thing this morning so I re pitched some more ale yeast and hoping that will bring the gravity down soon. Any suggestions? I'll be so disappointed if this beer is trashed

What yeast did ferment with? What yeast did you pitch? What numbers were you looking for?
As is you had an attenuation of 66.4% and an ABV 5.5%

Bottom line, wait and see.

Lol Idk I panicked. Rookie mistake.. but whats the point in throwing it into the secondary? Clarification? Does it do anything other than that?

Why did you pitch more yeast? After 3 days it's at 1.020 that's where it should be. It doesn't mean fermentation isn't still going on.

Bubbling and fermetnation are NOT the same thing. airlocks and blowoffs are simply vents, valves to relieve the pressure and keep you from having beer on your ceiling. They are NOT magic fermentation gauges.

Airlock activity is irrevelent. Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

Don't do ANYTHING else to your beer for another 2 or 3 weeks. Don't rack it, don't look at it. Just leave it alone. Everything is ans WAS fine. You went to try to fix something that wasn't even broken.

You did good by taking a hydro reading...but it didn't show that you needed to DO anything...just that the beer was happily fermenting away REGARDLESS of what the airlock was doing.

Thanks a lot stb! And rev does adding more yeast affect it in a bad way at all or will they just fall to the bottom when they are out of sugar

Thanks a lot stb! And rev does adding more yeast affect it in a bad way at all or will they just fall to the bottom when they are out of sugar

Overpitcthing CAN cause there to be an overly yeasty taste, we call it yeast bite. It also means you have to wait longer for the beer to finish and to condition.

Back