First Pilsner Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlou84

Reaction score
Well, I brewed the pilsner a week ago. Did all grain. Since I racked it to a five gallon carboy I used a blow off just in case. It has been sitting at about 48 degrees consistently. I haven't seen any activity and it doesn't look like any fermentation has taken place. Nothing caked on the sides and nothing floating on top. Thoughts?

Here then beer!

Pilsner Urquell clone. I used the Czech pilsner wyeast. Got it started five hours before pitching, but the bag didn't blow up much like most do. Not the first time that has happened though so I thought it would be ok.

Here then beer!

I am going to take a sample in a few hours. I was wondering if this is normal or not a good sign.

Here then beer!

It's normal if the bag didn't swell. Do you think it was shipped hot or did you buy it local? It will take off sooner or later, you underpitched is all.

Okay. I bought it local. I was surprised to find it in my LBS. Maybe it was old yeast.

Here then beer!

I always do starters for lagers. Very essential to pitch the right amount of yeast for lager. Or for any brew for that matter. Next time do a huge starter. And use a yeast calculator to give you a estimate of yeast cells to pitch. For now I would pick up a pack or two of dry lager yeast just in case.

Thanks Brat. I took a sample and confirmed that no fermentation has happened yet. So should I get another pack of the same yeast and add that or the lager yeast or what?

Here then beer!

Did you possibly pitch the yeast too warm, specifically, above 90F? If its a week old and nothing is growing in it then you have very good sanitation! Did you taste your sample to make sure there were no funky flavors going on there? If it tastes like wort then go ahead and pitch another lager yeast pack or two, I would also aerate again to help the fresh yeast out.

Pitched at about 74 then cooled it to 48. I guess that may be the problem. I bought another pack. Gonna cool it to 48 after it swells and then re pitch.

Here then beer!

It did still taste like wort so I think it will be fine. I actually just read that this wyeast is best for temps 50 to 58 so I am gonna aim for 56 degrees this time.

Here then beer!

It did still taste like wort so I think it will be fine. I actually just read that this wyeast is best for temps 50 to 58 so I am gonna aim for 56 degrees this time.

Here then beer!

How many packages did you buy? For lagers, they need a lot more yeast than you'd imagine. It depends on the OG of the beer (so check out mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator for specific amounts for YOUR beer, here: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html), but 5 packages would not be too much.

Otherwise, a starter is required for a healthy fermentation. I'd probably ferment that yeast strain at 52.

Pitched at about 74 then cooled it to 48. I guess that may be the problem. I bought another pack. Gonna cool it to 48 after it swells and then re pitch.

Here then beer!
I actually think this was the right approach since you're just using one smack pack. you just should have left it warm until you saw a bubble or two.

Back