First lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
ok so i just made my first lager this past weekend using s-23. I just checked in my fermentation chamber and i still do not see any activity in fermenter. I am used to seeing activity on the top, and i know that lager is bottom fermenting yeast. That being said do you get krausen when using lager yeast? also i know that ale yeast takes about 48 hrs to start bubbling...does lager take longer since fermenting at lower temps?

What is the recipe OG?
Did you use a starter?
What tempt did you pitch at?
What temp is it now?

You need a lot more yeast for lager of equal gravity to an ale, you should still see a krausen if you use enough yeast, but it won't be as vigorous as ale fermentation

i actually dont know OG...my hydrometer broke...:( oh i know its sweet though...i always do a taste test...i like to see how the wort is so much different from finished product...lol
I did not use a starter, i never have and have never had a problem
I pitched at 57*
It is at ~57* now
It is a NB California common receipe which only came with the one pack.

Been using s-23 for quite a few years, never made a starter, never re hydrated. Just dump it in at 65 to 70 degrees and let it sit till you see the foam then cool to 54~ and forget about it for 2 weeks. give it a d-rest for a couple of days slowly drop the temp to 35 when it clears keg it.
If you don't see any fermentation just leave it at room temp till you do

s-23 datasheet

any guess based on your recipe of the OG? If it was "sweet" in that it was a stronger than average it would definately need a starter

Optimal lager pitching- inject O2 with a stone, use a large starter (1G / 2 yeast packs), cool starter (decant) / wort to about 50, then pitch.

When 80% of fermentation is complete, raise temp 4 degrees per day until 60+ degrees for diacetyl rest, rest a couple of days, reduce temp 4 degrees per day until at 40 or below, lager for 2-3 months.

You don't have to do all this, and can make a great lager. But for optimal, clean, clear lager this is optimal. IMO getting really good at lager fermentation makes some of the best beer.

ok it is fermenting now...foam on top bubbles coming from airlock...yay!
so in 2 weeks i will lower the temp to 35-40ish til it clears...someone said 2-3 months for lagering! really?
I was hoping after the 2 weeks to move to secondary then lager for like a month. any thoughts on putting in secondary? any thoughts on lagering for longer than a month?

2 weeks is OK, no need to check gravity, don't forget the D-rest. I lager in the keg I rack after cold crashing till it clears. I taste it from time to time and somewhere between 3-4 weeks it starts tasting good and because it's a neighbor favorite it's never lasts for more than 6 weeks.

ok so after 2 weeks i raise the temp to about 65ish...leave it there for 4 days...then drop 4 degrees per day til under 40...then i can bottle in 4 weeks? i dont keg so i have to make sure its good before bottling.

ok so after 2 weeks i raise the temp to about 65ish...leave it there for 4 days...then drop 4 degrees per day til under 40...then i can bottle in 4 weeks? i dont keg so i have to make sure its good before bottling.

that will work, if you secondary for 4 weeks scoop a little trub to your bottling bucket( so you have yeast for charging)

well i decided not to use secondary...i had other beers i wanted to make that i needed the fermentors. it is now in the lagering process, i cant remember about when i did this since i forgot to raise it to the d rest on time. so it will get an extended lagering probably...if this doesnt come out great then im thinking i am done with lagers. so much waiting, so much more attention while it is fermenting! hope it is worth it!

Back