East Coast Yeast Baltic Lager Strain ECY22

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used this strain? I recently acquired this strain and am looking for any feedback out there.

Thanks!

Did you end up using it? Would love to know any early notes you have on it. Also, where'd you end up getting it? Been watching L2B specifically for this one!

24hr after pitching a healthy starter I've got a nice thin krausen on a 1.090 Baltic set at 46F. I've been excited to brew with this strain for a little while.

24hr after pitching a healthy starter I've got a nice thin krausen on a 1.090 Baltic set at 46F. I've been excited to brew with this strain for a little while.

You get all the good stuff!

I have pretty much the same scenario, plus a degree F. Was at .040 a week after pitching, which would worry me with most ale yeasts I use, but guessing this is normal for a lager? Only my second lager brew.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Nope, just setting and forgetting. Will probably give it several months at 47 f before I mess with it. Was still pretty muddy when I checked gravity, so I assume it was still chugging away, though I also took note that this stuff was extremely slow to floc out - even in the vial after a week in the fridge, never seemed to compact down at the bottom. You notice anything similar?

Mine stalled at 1.037. First lager I've had stall on me. Guess I'll shake the carboy and hope it drops some more.

Bummer. I will check mine tomorrow and see what's what.

Yep, I am sitting at .030 right now - not where I want to be. I don't have much experience with lagers, so I am not sure if this sort of timeline is typical but doubt it is. Brewed 1/11. I aerated with pure O2, did an appropriate starter, kept temp, and it's actually been raised up to 63 for the past week as I ferment an ale (only have one chamber, should have checked the gravity of the lager before I tossed them together). The taste is nice, residual sweetness notwithstanding...

I have been very pleased with ECY's Abbey and Trappist strains as well as the Flemish and BugFarm/County, but aside from that, I experienced stuck fermentations twice with Northeast Ale Yeast, and once with the Heavy Scotch Ale yeast.

I shook the carboy and left it at 53F. I'll check it again next week. If it doesn't look good I'll rack to secondary and pitch a little Zurich lager cake I have from a previous Baltic to finish it out.

I have the wee heavy strain from ECY. What'd you brew with it?

A wee heavy :) I don't recall what my numbers were, but can check to see if I still have them recorded. I was pleased with all other aspects of the yeast, just never got attenuation.

Has anyone out there used this strain? I recently acquired this strain and am looking for any feedback out there.

Thanks!

dont suppose anybody here has some of this ECY22 left? cant seem to find it and ECY doesnt have any in stock....

Latest posts

Back