Dry airlock blew off the starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjncoguyx

Reaction score
I know there's threads about this with fermenters but i couldn't find anything stemming from a starter. I know because there was fermentation present that there should be a barrier of CO2 protecting it, my only concern is that the starter was on a stir plate. And as far as i know the stir plate sucks in air most likely minimal, and maybe even more minimal since when the airlock had been blow of it wasn't really stirring as much because the krausen had formed. My question is, the most it could've been off is maybe a couple hours, should this yeast be alright to pitch tomorrow. :confused:

I would imagine im probably just being way too anal about this and it'll probably be fine.

It should be fine, although the top blew off there still should have been a layer of CO2 blanketing the liquid and this wouldn't all have rushed out once the top came off . I would say its fine.

I would say that most of us don't even use an airlock for a starter- just sanitized foil.
Yeah, i kinda figured since most people use the foil method i wouldn't have any issues. Im using a dry silicone airlock if anyone is familiar with them, i just notched a piece out of the lip so i won't have blow offs, it should keep everything out while still protecting.

Yeah, i kinda figured since most people use the foil method i wouldn't have any issues. Im using a dry silicone airlock if anyone is familiar with them, i just notched a piece out of the lip so i won't have blow offs, it should keep everything out while still protecting.

You want as much oxygen as possible to get into your starter, so I'd still omit the airlock. Even dry, it's a pretty small area to allow sufficient exchange of air.

Latest posts

Back