Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cross-State Infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's been 2 full days since I pitched my S-04 and there seems to be no activity... Haven't taken a gravity reading, but there isn't any krausen developing on the 3 gallons of re-boiled wort. Going to take a reading tomorrow, if nothing has dropped I think I'll pitch a second pack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hey guys, took a gravity reading today and the beer finished at 1.03.... Not sure what is going on. This is the second beer that my gravity has finished way to high... Any thoughts on this? I know poor oxygenation and pitching rates coudl cause this, which my be the case on this beer but the Belgian (OG - 1.067 , FG - 1.026) I used a WLP vial which is supposed to be enough yeast to not use a starter.

As for tasting notes, an extremely strong bitterness on the back of my tounge, a little maltiness. This is my second ESB I've made so don't have much experience with the flavor profile of an ESB.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

If it's drinkable then you have done well IMHO. That was one crazy battle.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Woodland - I wouldn't say I won yet. I am going to do a few wort blind taste test before I take my time to bottle it.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #25
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You may have just brewed the best beer ever made in the history of mankind. What if the wild yeast is "totally awesome" wild yeast? haha. Never know. If the gravity is dropping like the post above says, I would sample that. Is there any possibility that there was some left over yeast in that fermenter? The pic sure looks like the fermentation is at full throttle.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

To be clear, the beer I am talking about was the re-boil. The infected beer is still sitting, I am going to check that out tonight or tomorrow. It had a very STRONG fermentation. It popped the stopper out of the growler it was fermenting in. So I am very interested in tasting it and taking samples. Hope I don't die drinking it!!!

Friedclutch - I am pretty sure there was no yeast left over. I pretty particular on cleaning well. Do my yeast washing, then pour out everything else, do an oxyclean wash with a carboy brush, an oxyclean soak, take a soft bristle nail cleaning brush to the neck of the carboy with diluted bleach, and then flush out clean.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #27
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hey guys, wanted to give you all an updated... a disgusting update.

So, it's been about two and a half months since my last update. This weekend I checked out the re-boiled batch, took a taste test and it was still off; something about it wasn't right. Thought maybe it needed some more time, so I left it in the carboy. Today I wanted to test out the 1 gallon batch that I left as is. I poured an ounce worth into a shot glass, the color looked perfect, the smell was an overpowering burn to the nose, and the taste was of a malty-acetone. I couldn't even hold it in my mouth for to long. Disgusted, I spit it into the sink. Made my decision of pouring or keeping the 1 gallon of the "wild fermenation" much easier. I started pouring the gallon down the drain when I got about a 1/4 left and it became clogged. I turned the bottle back over thinking it was odd that it became clogged and looked into the neck of the carboy. After forcefully shaking it upside down, this scary and nasty organism ( for the best description) fell out... Boy am I glad I didn't swallow that sample! I'm sorry, but what the $^*% is this!!?!?! This grew in the gallon growler from what I am assuming caused the infection. This was obviously not in the growler when I racked the beer into it. I kept it for pictures then washed it down the drain, the thing started creeping me out. Anyone that has any idea on what this is, please share! I think I won the "scariest **** you have found growing in your beer" award!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

You put oysters in your beer?!?! Sorry, I just sucked about a billion oysters this weekend, and that's exactly how they looked.

it almost looks like a mother of vinegar in the first picture, but that last picture definitely does not.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #29
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hah! Definitely looks like a mutated oyster!

Didn't know what mother of vinegar was, so I looked it up. Mother of vinegar looks to be more of a liquid, this thing was solid like a steamed dumpling from your not-so-favorite asian dinner.

Quick Reply