Crazzy krousen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
I've completed about 20 batches so far so still kind of new. This one is the first time I've encountered this though. I'm on day 2 of a 1.062 sg ipa using us05 and the foam on top of the fermenter has to be a solid 6 inches. I haven't taken a sample yet and I don't see any really odd looking junk in it, like iv seen in some of the pics of soured ferments. Should I be worried?

You have a SERIOUS problem.

You look at your fermenting beer.

STOP LOOKING AT YOUR FERMENTING BEER.

Yeast do ABSOLUTELY freakish stuff. Stop peeking into their bedroom.

Let them get their freak on in privacy and just enjoy the final product.

Not very great pic from my crawl space.

image-2174270506.jpg

I've completed about 20 batches so far so still kind of new. This one is the first time I've encountered this though. I'm on day 2 of a 1.062 sg ipa using us05 and the foam on top of the fermenter has to be a solid 6 inches. I haven't taken a sample yet and I don't see any really odd looking junk in it, like iv seen in some of the pics of soured ferments. Should I be worried?

US-05 is a beast. It is doing precisely what it should be doing. It will die down soon and you will forget you ever worried.

you have a serious problem.

Stop looking at your fermenting beer.

Yeast do absolutely freakish stuff. Stop peeking into their bedroom.

this^

cheezydemon3 said:
You have a SERIOUS problem.

STOP LOOKING AT YOUR FERMENTING BEER.

Yeast do ABSOLUTELY freakish stuff. Stop peeking into their bedroom.

Haha okay.

I had a stout blacker than your soul that had yeastbergs that would float up from the bottom, break the surface, and slowly dissolve back into solution. I posted my "I have brewed a few but is this OK??" thread.

The beer turned out fantastic, I actually had a few nightmares about floating in my fermenter as giant yeastbergs floated up out of the black......

Buckets do not cause these kinds of problems, and they keep light out....

What is the temp in your attic? Mine would be WAY too hot, and the yeast would ferment like crazy, possibly making agiant krausen.

DOH!!! not an attic ;)

68-69 ambient is still fairly warm since the fermentation will add 5-10 degrees to the wort temperature. The yeast will love the high temperatures but the beer could suffer. Look into additional temperature control

That looks like a little more krausen than usual but definitely nothing to worry about.

The bigger hop bill of an IPA is a likely cause. Hop assist in head retention of a beer, and think of the bubbly krausen as akin to a head.

There could also be a little more protein than normal, which means you have more structural support in your bubbles. The more structure there is, the less likely they are to burst. As a result, you get a thick foamy top.

The bigger hop bill of an IPA is a likely cause. Hop assist in head retention of a beer, and think of the bubbly krausen as akin to a head.

There could also be a little more protein than normal, which means you have more structural support in your bubbles. The more structure there is, the less likely they are to burst. As a result, you get a thick foamy top.

NICE!!!

I don't look anymore, but I bet IPAs do have more krausen.

Okay, thanks for help. And iv been scouring Craigslist for a new mini fridge. Just recently moved and had to ditch the last.

Sidenote: I will not switch to buckets. Half the fun is watching and I like being able to tell when activity slows and how well the sediment has dropped out.

Okay, thanks for help. And iv been scouring Craigslist for a new mini fridge. Just recently moved and had to ditch the last.

I don't know what your new situation is, but I got my 14.5 cu ft Keezer on craigslist for $50 and at 45f it is perfect for dropping a bucket or 2 in to cool off.

Latest posts

Back