Clearing Dense Looking Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grillsmith

Reaction score
I have 2 batches in secondary now and both look pretty merky. One is an IPA (still have not dry hopped) and the other is a Raspberry Framboise. I have to bottle condition these so kegging is not an option. If I cold crash them can I still carb them in the bottle? If so how much yeast per gallon should I use?
I also looked at the Biofine Clear which I would have a similar carbing issue with. I planned to bottle this weekend but I can wait longer im in no rush if it helps.
Thanks for the advise!

You can cold crash and still have enough yeast in suspension to naturally carbonate, as long as it was not an extended fermentation. With a normal 3 week fermentation and a 3day cold crash there is still enough yeast floating around to naturally carbonate without adding more yeast.

Should I bring the beer back up to temp before adding the priming sugar And bottling. Also would I add the same amount of priming sugar as normal you think? Yes I'm at 3 weeks between primary and secondary.

I've heard about your small batch specialty beers and agree that 3 days Cold crash should be fine. And I would let the beer come back to room tempature before bottling.

You don't HAVE to bring it up before priming but it would be best. This way the yeast would be revived and ready to start consuming the sugars to carbonate. If you prime it cold the yeast will take longer to warm up and start carbonating.
You would use the same amount of priming sugar as if you had not cold crashed.

Also I read about suck back while cold crashing, I have it in a 1 gallon glass Carboy. So using An air lock would not work so should I just cap it ?

Is it a 3pc airlock or an S-tube? I only use the s-tube and air will bubble in reverse. With a 3 pc you may need to remove it before cold crashing. I would just remove the airlock and cover the top with aluminum foil to prevent anything from getting in.

most on here will say it will carbonate fine after cold crash, and most will also say the same about gelatin.

Here's my experience. Now take all this with a huge grain of salt, because this brew came out over 10% so that in and of itself will hinder carbonation.

I cold crashed with gelatin finings to clear what I am now calling an imperial blonde ale. Results were absolutely awesome. No haze, and I could read words through a full pint. Looked beautiful. But 6 weeks into bottle conditioning it barely had a hiss on opening and was completely flat. I THINK it would have still carbonated, but it woulda taken months. I was planning on serving in a few weeks, so I had to open and recap with some dry yeast. I did half with CBC-1 and half with EC-1118. We'll see how it turns out.

This is probably not relevant to you, but what I've learned is that it should still have enough yeast for most beers. But the combination of cold crash + gelatin + high ABV turned out way too much for my yeasties (WLP080). Take it for what it's worth.

I think I'm going to stay away from the gelatin. If I can do it just by cold crashing and still carb I'll be happy. If I put it in the fridge tonight I'll bottle bottle Monday night.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405726221.622298.jpg just put in the fridge to cold crash (day 1)

When you go to bottle it is perfectly fine to bottle it cold. There is no reason at all to warm it just to let things resuspend in the beer. Add your priming solution to the bottling bucket then simply rack your beer into it and bottle. Then store at room temperature until it is carbonated.

It's been 24 hours and I don't see any difference. I know it will be in there another 2 days but is that normal ?

Back