Brewing in Progress.. No Yeast to Pitch! HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schreck

Reaction score
Started brewing a wheat stout, currently 5 minutes into the 60min boil. Been browsing the forums for the best answer, but i need some advice.

There is a homebrew store about 30minutes away that has the yeast i need (my white labs is past prime, starter not up, etc). When would be the best time to go grab the yeast from the store? Mind you itl be >1hr round trip.

1. While the wort cools? (faster chill is better/necessary.. hmm)
2. Once wort is at pitching temp ~72-78*F & leave in kettle?
3. After i pour into carboy and top off with bottled spring water?
4. other ideas
5. RDWHAHB and let the wild yeast take over!

Let me know as im completely in a bind! At least everything else is going as planned and the house is filled with sweet sweet wort aroma.

As long as your fermenter is clean and very well sanitized you should be ok to run to the homebrew store. I'd go ahead and chill it, put it in a carboy, seal the lid and go to the store. Letting it sit for another hour or so won't likely hurt anything.

As long as your fermenter is clean and very well sanitized you should be ok to run to the homebrew store. I'd go ahead and chill it, put it in a carboy, seal the lid and go to the store. Letting it sit for another hour or so won't likely hurt anything.

+1

Finish your brew day and RDWHAHB. Go to the store when you're all done and your wort will be there when you get back, waiting anxiously for those yeasties.

Ditto baconator. But if you're adding spring water, I'd wait on that. I wouldn't add anything that hasn't been boiled/sanitized until you're ready to pitch. So... cool to pitching temp, transfer to carboy, cover well, and hit the road.

thanks for the quick responses.. looks like il be hitting the road once the wort is in the carboy

Back