Any Nottingham fans out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've come to discover Notty.

I believe I read a post once from Yooper who described this yeast as a beast!

I have to agree, it's worked very well for me.

Have also read it sometimes ends up dead.

When the replies come in it may be better well said.

What are your experiences with this daredevil yeast?

Is it the beast of all yeast?

Please tell about it on this thread.

Look very much forward to it,

that needs not to be said.

uh-oh ;)

I've got a feeling that you'll be getting as many poem pointers as Notty opinions! :D

I love it by the way. Some of my favorite beers have been with Notty. They got a bad rap for some poor QC but they've revamped their packaging and dead Notty is supposed to be a thing of the past.

I've got a feeling that you'll be getting as many poem pointers as Notty opinions! :D

I love it by the way. Some of my favorite beers have been with Notty. They got a bad rap for some poor QC but they've revamped their packaging and dead Notty is supposed to be a thing of the past.

Thankyou Ellis. I read some good and bad descriptions of Notty.

A man may build 1000 bridges in 1000 cities and only fail once but he 'll be remembered for his failure

A twist on a more vulgar parable.

It was recommended when I picked up ingredients for my first kit and worked great for my first 3 brews. I have a couple packs in the fridge for another beer or emergencies.

I now only brew typical brown ales and bitters. The only yeast I use is Nottingham and as long as it stays a little under 70 for the first 5 or 6 days it is clean, free of esters, fast (almost violent) and the trub is very compact.

bosco

i used it for the first time this year on a partigyle stout.

i absolutely loved it. very clean english yeast. I need to try S04 again, but as of right now, i prefer the notty

I've always had good results with Nottingham....except for one dead pack (in fact, the only dead yeast I've ever had, liquid or dry). Luckily, I had backup in the fridge from a different lot, and it took right off.

I brewed a batch with the questionable lot number and had off results. I've gone back to it recently and have made some great bitters.

If you have good success with a dry yeast pack of notty then try washing this yeast and using it a second or third time. It gets even better with the next generation. Yeah I know it is cheap to use but washing this yeast has made it ferment stronger.

I LOVE Notty! I use it in almost all my ales. I actually ferment it really low...59/60 and let it ramp up over the next few days to 65. It gives it a very clean taste with a nice english yeast finish.

I have been on the hunt for a clean ale house yeast, and thus far Nottingham has surpassed us05 for pushing both hop and malt flavors, and it drops super bright in a week. I keep it at 60 for 4 days and then let it free rise to wherever it wants, and keg at week 2. Awesome yeast.

I've actually had pretty bad luck with it. I've gotten 2 dead packs while using it about 10 times. One time it was pitched pretty warm in my early brewing days, but it was only about 90 F or so, didn't think that would kill it. The second time it was even one of the new vacuum sealed packs, at proper pitching temperatures, and it never took off (I waited over 3 days).

That said, when it -has- worked I was pretty happy with the results.

Sounds like everybody is pretty happy with Notty. My short experience with it has been good as well. I had some in the fridge that I harvested and ended up using it all up and not re-harvesting. The next batch I'll pitch dry and get my yeast bank built back up.

I've actually had pretty bad luck with it. I've gotten 2 dead packs while using it about 10 times. One time it was pitched pretty warm in my early brewing days, but it was only about 90 F or so, didn't think that would kill it. The second time it was even one of the new vacuum sealed packs, at proper pitching temperatures, and it never took off (I waited over 3 days).

Do you remember when you had your dead packs?

It happened to me once in mid-2010, when there was supposedly one or more bad lots from Danstar. Apart from that, I've had pretty good luck with Nottingham.

However, that experience got me to always proof dry yeast now (ie, rehydrate and confirm that it foams up within half an hour), and always keep a pack or two of US-05 as backup.

I'm interested in using nottingham. I hear the name a lot, but haven't used it. Maybe I'll do a pale ale and split half and use nottingham. I pretty much just use safale05 now, since I'm too lazy to make a starter, and don't really make anything special that requires a liquid yeast strain.

I am an ex-notty fan. Yes it is great yeast, but it was easier to love when it cost much less. I have switched to Edme and it has been working great for me, plus it costs much less.

Do you remember when you had your dead packs?

It happened to me once in mid-2010, when there was supposedly one or more bad lots from Danstar. Apart from that, I've had pretty good luck with Nottingham.

However, that experience got me to always proof dry yeast now (ie, rehydrate and confirm that it foams up within half an hour), and always keep a pack or two of US-05 as backup.

One was probably February or March of 2011, the other was I believe December of 2011. I have actually used it since then because I figured I couldn't keep being so unlucky, and I've been pretty happy with it.

I use Notty on 90% of my brews I love it rewash it all the time I brew mostly IPA and PA its my favorite yeast.

Some folks here don’t understand,
But I do my dear friend Dan. :mug:
Do you like yeast Nottingham?
Yes I like it Stan-I-am.

Do you pitch it in your wort?
Do you pitch it in the dirt?
Yes I pitch it in my wort,
But never do I in the dirt. :mad:

Do you like it in your pale?
Do you like it in your ale?
Yes I like it in my pale.
Yes I LOVE IT in my ale. :cross:

Yes I like yeast Nottingham,
Yes I like it Stan-I-am.

Do you cover it with foil?
Do you pitch it in your boil?
Yes I cover it with foil.
Never is it in the boil.

Do you like it in your beer?
Does it make it very clear?
Yes I like it in my beer.
Flocculation is quite clear.

Do you really like said yeast?
Is it really like a beast?
Attenuation is quite well,
Like Yooper's beast from said Hell. :rockin:

Yes I like yeast Nottingham,
Yes I like it Stan-I-am.
But the thing I really like,
It is where they made my bike.

img6516f.jpg

img6520n.jpg

I enjoy your work so Seuss-like.
And a Notty is a heck of a bike.
But please don't be so subtle,
Tell us about your space shuttle.

I enjoy your work so Seuss-like.
And a Notty is a heck of a bike.
But please don't be so subtle,
Tell us about your space shuttle.

I took that pic this morning just for this thread. That is a picture of RPO1 which will be installed on OV-104. In English, that means it is the right hand OMS (Orbital Maneuvering System) pod. It will be installed on the Space Shuttle Atlantis. Eventually Atlantis will be on display at the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex. A little bit of trivia. RPO1 was originally one of Space Shuttle Challenger's pods. Challenger went down with Columbia's pods, which by the way, was the first time they were flown on Challenger.

I took that pic this morning just for this thread. That is a picture of RPO1 which will be installed on OV-104. In English, that means it is the right hand OMS (Orbital Maneuvering System) pod. It will be installed on the Space Shuttle Atlantis. Eventually Atlantis will be on display at the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex. A little bit of trivia. RPO1 was originally one of Space Shuttle Challenger's pods. Challenger went down with Columbia's pods, which by the way, was the first time they were flown on Challenger.

Well FBBS has done left ORCDA in the dust. I ain't got no mo to rite. Which means in English, Florida Brilliant Brewer Stan has quickly left Old Retired Coach Dumb A$$ far behind, and I am out of here. :cross:

I LOVE notty. I've probably brewed more batches with it than any other yeast - never had a problem with it. I doubt anyone would now that they're vacuum packing.

I LOVE notty. I've probably brewed more batches with it than any other yeast - never had a problem with it. I doubt anyone would now that they're vacuum packing.

The vacuum packaging came about after the two different recalls they had. The new packaging also came with a new inflated price tag. I still use it a couple of times a year.

I used to use tons of it as my normal yeast for ales, simply because it was $1.50 a packet, fermented out fast, floc'd well, and tasted pretty much neutral. I never had to save yeast, it was just too cheap to use Nottingham.

Now that it costs more than S-05, I doubt I will use it much more unless it's for some english style I don't intend to brew a lot of. I will probably get some WLP090 or WLP001 and start reusing it.

Back