Airlock blew off today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasBrewing

Reaction score
Well It is my first time for my airlock to blow off and blow klausen all over the wall. It happened probably mid day today as I checked on it at 10 and again at 6 when I found beer all over my wall. I put a hose in a bomber bottle filled with water what are my chances my beer will be fine?

It happens all the time....It means you have active fermentation...Just to clean the mess, resantiize the lid and put on a blowoff tube.

we've all had complete bucket blowoffs, where the lid flies off, and our beers survive. Your beer is protected by a layer of co2.

Watch these videos of one of my beers...that came out fine. Next time clean up your mess and rig up a blowoff tube.

The beer turned out fine.

I've had 2 complete bucket blowoffs and both ended up fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used StarSan solution in the bottle/bucket/container for the end of the blowoff tube.

Chances are your brew will be fine, since there was obviously enough CO2 to blow the airlock out, so it should have kept everything else that could do any harm out too. You'll know for certain when you go to drink it (or bottle it up)... Since you had krausen all over the wall, you must have a rather active fermentation going...

Next time, if you don't have at least a gallon of headspace in the fermenter, install a blow-off tube from the start. If you think the yeast is going to go ape-nuts in the batch, install one even if you have more headspace.

Airlocks are evil. Cover you fermentor loosely with a lid (don't snap it down) or foil...or nothing at all. The only real reason for covering is to keep crap from getting in. Your beer will be fine.

Thanks I was scared because I pulled a brewathon on sunday and brewed a mini mash belgain pale ale and agave wit. I would hate to have to do the wit again.

Airlocks are evil. Cover you fermentor loosely with a lid (don't snap it down) or foil...or nothing at all. The only real reason for covering is to keep crap from getting in. Your beer will be fine.

Your fermentation space, however, may get sticky doing that ;)

I use 1" ID blow-off hoses into a gallon vessel half filled with brew day Star-San solution. Batch sizes are ~5.5 gallons in 6.5 gallon glass carboys with temperature control, and with very few exceptions will end up with krausen in the Star-San. If it wasn't for the hoses I'd constantly be cleaning the inside of my fermentation fridges...

Cheers!

This advice is debatable, but I don't want to go too far into that. I will say that I'm sure it works for some, but I feel much better with a more sealed system using a blow off tube.

day_trippr said:
Your fermentation space, however, may get sticky doing that ;)

I use 1" ID blow-off hoses into a gallon vessel half filled with brew day Star-San solution. Batch sizes are ~5.5 gallons in 6.5 gallon glass carboys with temperature control, and with very few exceptions will end up with krausen in the Star-San. If it wasn't for the hoses I'd constantly be cleaning the inside of my fermentation fridges...

Cheers!

I always have my fermentors in a swamp cooler or have a towel underneath. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean these than 4 walls, a ceiling, and a floor.

I like to top crop my yeast. If I have a vigorous fermentation, I scoop out the krausen and fill a couple of mason jars. Nice, healthy yeast for future brews!

Back