Aerating wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemontbrew

Reaction score
Today I brewed a hefeweizen using a yeast starter and aerating my wort with an aquarium pump for the first time. I racked the wort into a 6 gallon carboy from the boil pot after cooling and inserted the aerating hose and stone into it. After about 10 minutes I had foam coming out the top. Most things I've read say that you need to aerate for 30 minutes. How do I do this with the foam issue?

30 minutes? This is new to me so I really would love to know as well.

you are better off shaking the fermentor for a few minutes, you'll get the same O2 concentration as using the pump for 30 minutes.

Normal for foam to come out the top. I like to use an orange cap for this. Racking cane goes down the center hole with the aeration stone on the end of it. Then the second hole is used as a typical blowoff hole with a hose running to a catch jug.

eastoak said:
you are better off shaking the fermentor for a few minutes, you'll get the same O2 concentration as using the pump for 30 minutes.
Source?

White and Zanisheff disagree in Yeast; the state an upper bound of 4ppm with shaking and 8ppm with an aeration stone pumping atmosphere.

In any event, you hare not better off shaking a fermenter because that's a spilled wort/broken carboy hazzard.

White and Zanisheff disagree in Yeast; the state an upper bound of 4ppm with shaking and 8ppm with an aeration stone pumping atmosphere.

In any event, you hare not better off shaking a fermenter because that's a spilled wort/broken carboy hazzard.

i have that book can you tell me the page number where you read that. as far as i know there is zero controversy on this but i might have missed that part in that particular book.

check out this abstract.
http://www.brewangels.com/Beerformation/AerationMethods.pdf

i have that book can you tell me the page number where you read that. as far as i know there is zero controversy on this but i might have missed that part in that particular book.

check out this abstract.
http://www.brewangels.com/Beerformation/AerationMethods.pdf

You're right, 8 ppm is the upper limit from shakingmaccoding to ayeast as well. I stand corrected on that point. But I certainly don't recommend vigorously shaking a class carboy.

i run pure O2 with 1L/ min flow for 90 sec through a 5micron airstone and i have never had for two times in a row had the fermentation started in 1 hour.

I certainly recommend that. no more shaking;)

Back