3 week ferm with WYeast 3068?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
I'm attempting a DFH Sah'Tea clone, and it's been in the primary now for 3 weeks and is still bubbling away. I used 3068, which normally is a ferocious beast, but this has been a slow chugger all the way. Malt bill was about 50% 2-row, 40% wheat, 10% Rye. Initially I had it temp controlled at 68 to keep the banana-ey flavors down, but after 10 days took it out of the chamber to let it finish out/move along. Granted this is a 8.5-9% target ABV beer, is that what's causing the yeast to drag its feet? Is 3068 not great for higher ABV brews?

Did you pitch enough of it? I've had that long slow drawn-out fermentation on a big beer when I didn't pitch enough healthy yeast.

I used a starter that I stepped up to 2L over 3 days, so I'd think it would be a sufficient cell count. Two things I forgot, 1) This was washed yeast from a 1.050 Hefe, and 2) I did pitch on the hot side, about 90, due to issues with a new plate chiller. I don't think that would kill any yeasties off, but now I'm curious.

I just had the same experience. I bottled after 23 days and it was barely done...It may end up slightly over carbonated, but there is only so long a man can wait for an ale.

Hang in there, it will finish eventually.

My Hefe was 50/50 Pils and white wheat.
OG 1.050
FG 1.006

Yup. My (2nd gen) washed WLP300 (same strain) has been getting slower. May need to splurge and get a new $6 vial. No off-flavors or anything negative. Just getting slow.

Back