2nd fermenting in soda keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millrtyme12

Reaction score
I just got 4 corny kegs and am going to use them for secondary fermentation. I haven't had a chance to make it to the brew store and am wondering if the soda flavors on the O-rings will mess with the fermentation at all. Or can I just let it ferment and then change the O-rings when I have time.

I doubt the soda flavor in the o-rings will make much of a difference, but I would recommend changing them in any case. First thing I would do with a used keg is change out the o-rings. It is so much easier than finding out one is bad by having beer leaking out of it because it's not holding a seal! :D. You'll be glad in the long run!

I doubt the seals will affect flavour at all. Visually inspect them and if they look okay I wouldn't be afraid to clean them and keep using them.

I'm pretty sure the sites that sell kegs recommend you replace the o-rings. Most of them throw in a set of o-rings when you buy a keg anyway.

Back