Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > You ever just want to punch someone in the neck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
GLWIII
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default You ever just want to punch someone in the neck?

Attended a 50th birthday party for a friend this weekend. All he asked of the invitees was to bring one beer with them for the purposes of collecting 50 different beers for a picture he wanted to take. We could then take our respective beer home (which no one did). He now has an instant and somewhat righteous stash of beer. As for me, I scrawled a permanent mental note in my granite skull and will duly make the same request if I live to my 50th birthday. Anyway, on a previous occasion said friend mentioned that he had never tried Great Lakes. So, I brought three different samples for him. What turned out to be his quest for 50 wound up being about 100. Nice take for the night.

I don’t really consider myself a beer snob by any means, but I was amused at the events that followed as soon as I stepped out to the deck to grab a beer. About five other guys were sitting there talking beer. It quickly became obvious that they were trying to sound knowledgeable, but really didn’t know what they are talking about. I give you this example, “Yeah, that Mississippi Mud Black and Tan is greeeeeaaaat imperial stout”. Mmmmmm’kay. That’s when another fellow said “Let’s try this one”. He proceeds to open up a bottle of Founders Oatmeal Stout and pours it in to several small sampling glasses. We all grab one and sip. With the exception of me, and without missing a beat, I hear a collective groan like Spaulding drinking that leftover liquor with a cigarette butt in it (you Caddyshack fans know what I’m talking about), witness the looks on their faces as if they just caught wind of grandpa’s fart, and one quips something to the effect of "this tastes like @#$%". To a person they dumped their samples on the lawn. The kicker is to cleanse their palates they each reach for their respective drinks: three Michelob Ultras, one Bud Light, and one Schlitz. You read that right, I said Schlitz. Me? I finished my sample walked over to the well stocked group of coolers, scoped out the impressive, but hardly touched (not surprisingly) craft beer selection, grabbed a fresh Founders Oatmeal Stout and poured it in my glass. It was then that, of all people, the fellow with the Schlitz asks “you like that swill?”. I deadpanned, “Well, I really like Schlitz better, but I don’t want to drink your best IPA”. I just headed back inside to watch the football game and eat some food.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ha. nice one.

and yes, almost every day i have to keep myself from punching someone in the neck.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

well the other guys apparently never had many dark beers. not surprising considering the major commercial beers are pilzners. i know its taken me a while to get used to them. but calling it "swill" is a bit much.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sucks they poured out beer but if they didn't like it, what did you want them to do? Lie? And schlitz isn't bad man.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
SFBEER
Recipes 

Oatmeal Stout is pretty heavy for guys used to drinking pilzner. They just haven't had the chance to learn to appreciate a good stout.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This reminds me of a time that I must have been 21 or 22. I went to a party at an older couples house and they were serving up some really nice booze.

I grabbed their Glenfarclas 17 year old single malt, poured some over ice, then popped a can of pepsi and started pouring it over the top of the Scotch.

I thought that the owner of the home was going to punch me in the neck and his wife was going to kick me in the b**ls

Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bet they then spent the rest of the night awestruck by your awesomeness and superiority.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Meh, more of the good stuff for you. Best not to get worked up over it. Kind of like how when you were a kid and never liked your vegetables. Once I didn't have two people trying to shove the stuff down my throat, I cam around and starting liking them on my own.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
GOOCHY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty sure they were calling you a dick after you went back into the house.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I find it's easier to just aim for the head.

Quick Reply