Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Would this taste good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
35se
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Would this taste good?

I am thinking of what to brew for my first batch. I ordered the wheat ale kit from Northern Brewer along with my equipment.

At first I was all about Cherry wheat (still considering it) because I recently tried the Sam adams cherry wheat and thought it actually tasted pretty good. So I wanted to compare what I brewed to that.

But then I ate an Asian Pear. For those who may not know what it is. It's kinda like an apple and a pear mixed together. Down right delicious.

But has anyone tried or could anyone guess if an Asian Pear wheat ( or apple pear wheat) would taste good? I have seen various fruit beers but so far haven't really seen an apple wheat.

Maybe it's because the two don't mix? I don't know I am new to this. lol

But any comments/suggestions would be awesome. I'm really interested to see if this would work or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I would just do the kit. wheat yeast is mostly about controlling the fermentation temperature. If you don't like wheat beer then you bought the wrong kit

Pear juice is nice.. especially in cider.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
35se
Recipes 

I love wheat beer. But I also like the additions ive tried lately. Like the Cherry Wheat. I also just tried a blackberry wheat that was very refreshing.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1912 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

We have those asian pears at our local grocery too. We call'em papples. They have a light flavor,so it shouldn't be overpowering to say the least. I say give it a try. It'll certainly be light.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm sure the flavor would be fine. I wouldn't be able to coach you on how many papples to add though, or when. My gut says to add 5lbs worth (cut into pieces) during secondary. Sanitize with some grain alcohol or vodka and then freeze, that might work. I'd be interested to see what others say.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Brew 5 gallons of normal beer, and when you go to bottle, bottle 4 gallons, and move the last gallon into a 1 gallon glass jug with the pears to try it.

If you love it, great, scale it up next time. If not, you still have 4 gallons of good beer.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Take this for whatever it is, but for your first batch, you should just do a normal brew instead of going crazy. While brewing isnt the most complicated thing, it's good to get the process down. That being said, once its in the secondary, its pretty smooth sailings, so it wouldnt be completely out of the ordinary to throw some fruit in, but still, simple can be good for brew number one.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
35se
Recipes 

Thanks for the comments all. I have taken all of these things into consideration many times.

Papples might be a risky first batch but from what I've read(alot of fruit beer threads here) it doesn't seem to difficult to turn wheat into fruit wheat.... famous last words Ofc.

Idk tho. My kit comes tomorrow I will see how it goes at the lhbs and see if I pull the trigger on Modding it.

Again thanks again for all the comments. Super excited about tomorrow!!

Primary- Blue Loon
Secondary-
Bottled- NB American Wheat (cherry)

On deck- Belgian Pale ale or Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply