The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When you know you "made it" as a brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
chode720
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default When you know you "made it" as a brewer

What was the first comment you heard of the first incident where you really felt like an actual brewer?

This weekend, my wife was in a wedding and the only beer at the reception was Bud/Bud Light. They had wine, but it was too sweet and you had to pay for the cocktail. So I decided to degrade myself and have some Bud. Hey its free and will still get me drunk, so what the hell.

Well my wife came over when I was drinking it, took a sip, had the most disgusted look on her face and said, "Wow, your beer tastes way better than this" and handed the glass right back to me.

EDIT: sorry for any confusion, but I don't me "made it" like u are now a pro brewer, just that moment you realzed, hey I make damn good beer

Last edited by chode720; 05-26-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right on! That's always a good feeling! I think I knew I "made it" as a brewer once I was able to complete AG brew days without much going wrong. It takes a while to get everything down, but once you've done it for a while you really feel like you're a brewer. Where in Cleveland you hail from? Euclid here, originally Concord.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Having the most well known local pro-brewer taste my Rye IIPA and saying it was "perfect".

Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 110

When you fill a glass out of the keg for someone, they drink it, and then go back 3-4 more times
I had my first person this weekend recommend that I put a tip jar on my keezer. I took that as "I'd pay for this, it's good enough for money"..
It was BM's "Just Another Brew Day" Wit.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
Right on! That's always a good feeling! I think I knew I "made it" as a brewer once I was able to complete AG brew days without much going wrong. It takes a while to get everything down, but once you've done it for a while you really feel like you're a brewer. Where in Cleveland you hail from? Euclid here, originally Concord.
I'm originally from the Buffalo, NY area, and I am now living in Brunswick, but I work on the East Side.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it was when a good friend of mine, who is a seasoned beer drinker (hails from Germany), told me that my weizen certainly wasn't the worst he's ever had. Coming from someone who used to drink 4-5 weizens a day, I'd say that's a small accomplishment.

/He also drank it only a week into the bottle. I told him to hang on to it for at least another week. I can only imagine the esters/fusels and "green" tastes he must have caught off it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Sharkeydude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I handed a glass to my father-in-law, who drinks Bud Light at 33 degrees, he snarled, chopped his jaws and let out an "EW!, that tastes like malt and hops!"...I knew I had made it. And coincidentally, he NEVER has pulled from my kegs again which leaves only the beer I drank missing from my kegs.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

I still dont think that I have "arrived" or "made it" as a brewer... but I dont have to buy commercial beer anymore. I dont trust the opinions of friends or people who cannot be impartial because they are staring me in the face at the time. Id only trust the opinion of an impartial judge probably.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Not sure how I'd define "Made it" but I also felt pretty accomplished when I took a few homebrews to a tasting at the local brewpub, the brewmaster really loved the stuff I brought, his wife thought it was awesome as well.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I still dont think that I have "arrived" or "made it" as a brewer... but I dont have to buy commercial beer anymore. I dont trust the opinions of friends or people who cannot be impartial because they are staring me in the face at the time. Id only trust the opinion of an impartial judge probably.
FWIW - I asked my friends to write down their thought of my beer and email it to me. I even told them that I don't trust what they say to me face to face because we're friends. So far, I've received quite a few very helpful comments that I plan to consider for upcoming brews. I like my beer...a LOT...but obviously I'm rather biased. If I'm going to get better, I need candid comments so I can gauge exactly what's going on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Quick Reply