Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the most effective thing for shortening a brew day?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I see that you're in GA- you're right, the tap water probably never gets very cold! I'm not sure what other brewers do in the south, but even if you got a CFC or a plate chiller, your tap water probably needs a prechiller or you could try recirculating ice water instead of water from the tap.
I'm on the AR/LA line. It took me ~20 minutes to chill my 5 gallon batch two weeks ago with a 3/8" 25' immersion chiller. That's with me constantly "stirring" with the chiller and prechiller to make sure I get the best heat transfer possible. Haha it's kinda exhausting. I plan to build a CFC soon so at least I can switch arms when one gets tired. Another idea my buddy and I have been kicking around is to pack a bottling bucket full of ice and then run tap water into the airlock hole and out the spigot. That way we can get much closer to 32 F water going into the chiller.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How much of a height difference is there between your MLT and what your draining it into? Do you open the top while draining?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
jevers
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharry View Post
How much of a height difference is there between your MLT and what your draining it into? Do you open the top while draining?
Bottom of MLT is about 3 ft off the ground, with a piece of 16" tubing hanging down off the spigot. Yeah the top is open so it's not trying to pull a vacuum or anything.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I live farther south. A pre-chiller is a huge time saver. My tap water is 80* in the summer and I run 50 feet of garden hose across my yard in the hot sun to my chiller. I use a 25' 3/8" pre chiller in a cooler full of ice and an a 50' 3/8" wort chiller. I cool 5 gallons to 65* in 12 minutes. You have to make sure that you keep both chillers moving for good heat exchange.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #25
stillbrewin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It seems like you have a lot of time spent getting the wort from the mash tun to the BK, and a lot of time getting it from the BK to the fermenter. Are you doing a double batch sparge? Also are you trying to keep all the hops from the fermenter? I use a cooler mash tun with a bazooka screen and it usually only takes a quart or two of wort for it to clear and set the grain bed. It runs to the BK at full speed till it drains with no problems. I usually open the ball valve only 1/2 way while I vourlauf then open it to full. Max time 10 minutes to drain to BK on first half. Maybe 15 minutes on second runnings. I Have my diptube on my BK angled to the sidewall of the keggle so I can create a whirlpool with my mash paddle while I drain to fermenter. It is no more than 10 minutes to fill Fermenter. I think cooling is definately a time issue for you as well. I have the luxury of barely above freezing groundwater which will take me from boil to 80 in about 15 minutes using a 50 ft 1/2 inch IC. A prechiller may be the way you have to go in GA, but the time from tun to BK and from BK to fermenter are way too long.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps

Water ready the night before?
I use hot tap water to start. It saves little time getting the water temperature.
I do make sure the grain is up to room temperature by setting it out the night before. When I get my mill and start milling at home I'm a pre weigh them so that brew day goes faster.
Yea... I turn the burner on my mash water as soon as I wake up. I kinda don't count mash water heating in my brew time cause I am busy eating breakfast, coffee, head...
On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I always make sure everything is clean and where it needs to be. I HATE cleaning during the brewing process or wasting time looking for something.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #28
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Why are you heating up your strike water inside to save on propane? If you need 4-6 gallons I can't imagine a normal kitchen stove being able to heat that in a reasonable amount of time.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I'm surprised people are using hot water from the hot water heater. I won't even make spaghetti noodles from hot water heater water.

My brew days consistently take 5-6 hours. There might be room to tighten that up, but I just relax or do something else during the dead time if I'm all prepped for the next step.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
kpwright
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Accelerated Extract Brewing

Switch to extract brewing

Use hot water from the house tap

If you have an icemaker in your fridge, use the entire box of ice as your cooling agent on the wort. You can cool 5 gallons to 100 degrees in about 60 seconds.

I make a 5 gallon batch of heavy ale in about 2.5 hours start to finish.

Quick Reply