Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whats the best brew school to go pro from

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
naemlss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Whats the best brew school to go pro from

I am currently student at Cal Poly Pomona(the Collins college to be precise). I haven't been taking classes in the sciences, but am more than willing to go through a little more background schooling before going to a brewing school. Whats the best place to go after I am done with my bachelors in Hospitality Management? So far I am looking at UC Davis, and another program that one of the Dale Bros Owners graduated from.

As well the schools have different programs offered. What would be the best program at the school? I am willing to move to a new location, but would prefer to do mostly online course work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Paying for more education just in the hopes of scoring a job emptying mash-tuns at a brewery for almost zero money is silly.

Leverage your hospitality management schooling to maneuver your way into a brewing career sounds like a much smarter and cheaper option at this point.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pick up last month's BYO magazine. They talk about different schools and the students. They say a lot of them quit because it's not as "glamorous" as they expected. It's just hard manual labor.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts

I like to get home schooled in the process of brewing. I think thats the best way to learn.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
naemlss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A am all over the forums here learning everything I can. My plan is do what I love, and make a living doing it. If brewing only stays a hobby I will be happy with that. Nothing would make me happier than owning/running a brewpub(s). It looks like Siebel Institue has online course. I don't know if they are worth a damn, but there is a hell of lot of stuff to large batch brewing that doesn't apply to small brews due to things I don't understand or even know of yet.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are going to enroll, I advise you to enroll now. There is a wait list for Siebel. Don't know about the others.

I kind of agree with Broadbill. You can even get a job working at a brewpub doing anything, slowly work your way into the brewery. Might even be quicker than attending brew school.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
jtmartino
Recipes 

There's an "invisible ceiling" in many breweries, as well as the winemaking industry. You will be limited by your education at some point or another. At the very minimum, you will need to study biology and chemistry. The ideal brewmaster candidate has a background in physical sciences and a knowledge of engineering principles.

You don't always need a Brewmaster education, but it is very likely that you will be passed down the line by someone who does have the certification. I've seen this first-hand at both a winery and a brewery. Most recently, a guy I know with 15 years in the industry and an endless knowledge of winemaking and a degree in history was "leapfrogged" by someone with only 3 years experience and an a science-based education.

Working at a brewery today is very different than 10 years ago. More and more people want to participate, and competition is growing.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Paying for more education just in the hopes of scoring a job emptying mash-tuns at a brewery for almost zero money is silly.

Leverage your hospitality management schooling to maneuver your way into a brewing career sounds like a much smarter and cheaper option at this point.
x2

Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill

Cold, hard truth right there.

I've recently started working in a brewery, it's hard work; very physical. I love it though, the atmosphere is really good.

I've done chemistry at school which helps as we've got a lot of lab equipment.... in our lab. But other than that it's mostly on the job training and walking into a brewers position somewhere half decent without experience just doesn't happen.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Weihenstephan. Period.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Quick Reply