What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and I bottled our Alaskan Amber Clone. It was a great time. Now I am ready to fill that fermenter with something new and more complex.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395600494.269494.jpg
I'm drinking some Squatter's Full Suspension Pale Ale. I also turned off the mini fridge I have an amber fermenting in to raise its temp, I don't have a temp controller yet.

Drove 180 miles, one way to pick up some gear from Craigs List. Guess who got a keggle, 3 tier stand with burner, 2 coolers, mill. bottle tree, 3-6gal and 1-5 gal carboy, turkey fryer and 8 gallon pot, 3 gallon enamel pot, hoses spoons, etc.???? What a day for BEER :mug:
Tom

I killed TWO kegs over the weekend. I made the mistake of shaking them Thursday night, which always means one will immediately go dry. Which it did, Friday night. And Sunday afternoon, the other one went. :mad:

I now have 3 empty kegs and no full ones. I need to get my rear in gear

To be honest, this happened yesterday, but I was in no position to type anything readable.

We recently moved and had a couple over that helped us with the move. While the kids played, we drank and drank and drank some more homebrew. My buddy and I have been trying to get a weekend where I can introduce him to the homebrewing "hobby" (obsession). We took a look at the equipment and I walked him through the process. He is really interested in getting started, so I told him about this site, obviously. I pointed him in the direction of a decent LHBS and we are planning on a brew day in the next few weekends.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

To be honest, this happened yesterday, but I was in no position to type anything readable.

We recently moved and had a couple over that helped us with the move. While the kids played, we drank and drank and drank some more homebrew. My buddy and I have been trying to get a weekend where I can introduce him to the homebrewing "hobby" (obsession). We took a look at the equipment and I walked him through the process. He is really interested in getting started, so I told him about this site, obviously. I pointed him in the direction of a decent LHBS and we are planning on a brew day in the next few weekends.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

Well done. Spread the love of the hobby!

Asked the local beer store (not to be confused with my LHBS) to let me know when Pranqster comes in so I can get a couple bottles. I want to harvest the yeast for a belgian I'm planning.

Tested the first bottle of Cascade SMaSH: after one week I expected mostly flat, but it had a fair amount of carbonation, and a bit of sweetness. I want a higher carbed beer, so right on track, and other than being a touch sweet was really good. My 4th batch and I think I finally hit what I was aiming for. Vowing to keep it simple for the next several batches!

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

Plumber came out to install a new toilet. Saw my carboy and bottle de-labelling project on the counter and asked me if I brew. We talked about it (well I did anyway) for a minute and he decided he's gonna start brewing and growing his own hops. Sent him home with an Imperial Red.

Got taxes done a lil bit ago & with escrow from refinance,I should have a tidy sum by the middle of next month. Man cave,car & kitchen upgrades coming soon!...:ban:

Hard Rootbeer?....explain...

Let's see this recipes grain bill:
14lbs 2row
.75 lbs crystal 80
8lbs dark brown sugar
1.5lbs lactose

Let tht ferment as usual with 001 then at bottling use
Rootbeer extract
Honey
White sugar

Bottle one in plastic to make as test bottle for carb then pasteurize or cold crash I'll find the link to how I found out about it, oh and that grain bill was for 10 gals

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416406

So tuesday I kegged an IPA. Wednesday it tasted great. I tasted it again on thursday and it had a tinge of metallic taste. So bad I wanted to dump it. I couldn't get a half glass down. I took the co2 off and put it on a keg of pumpkin. On saturday I tasted the IPA again with a sandwich at lunch time and it was Back!!! No metal taste at all. I did notice the fairly new 5# tank was about empty so... Either my regulators acting up or the pumpkin keg is leaking. Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I transfered my strawberry milk chocolate stout to the secondary today. Not much strawberry, but that could potentially take time. It was almost a richer chocolate then the first time i brewed the milk chocolate without strawberries. Really good either way.

Attempted to make a starter with a leaky vial of conan from Yeast Geek that's been sitting in my fridge for 6 or 8 months. 1st step is 1 liter at 1.030 on a stir plate. Maybe too big for step one?.. Not sure, let's see how this goes

Plumber came out to install a new toilet. Saw my carboy and bottle de-labelling project on the counter and asked me if I brew. We talked about it (well I did anyway) for a minute and he decided he's gonna start brewing and growing his own hops. Sent him home with an Imperial Red.

Way to go - keep on sharing in the hobby!

Took gravity readings on a pale ale, a Racer 5 clone, and a farmhouse ale. Looks like I'll be kegging this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

Scaled up 2 recipes from 10gal to 14bbl, then finished making a spreadsheet with a cost per consumable per recipe with a total of 5 recipes.

Kegged the Irish Red Ale, racked the Caribou Slobber in the Primary to the Secondary to make room for my upcoming brew day, and slapped the German Alt Yeast for tomorrow's starter.

Today, I made a few different caramel/crystal malts, using base malt. I made a light, med-light, medium, and dark lovibond crystal malts.

I bought an Enjoy By 4-20-14 from Stone.

Just rinsed out and delabeled some bottles for my next bottling coming up in two weeks.

Tracked a 3 gallon bucket on the way to me....so I can ferment another 2.25 gallon batch.

Just spent $125 I wasn't planning on spending at williamsbrewing.com just to get the free 18oz of leaf hops. Planning a couple more brew days at the moment. It was worth it :D

Transferred a Hefe out of primary so I could use it tomorrow, ground the grains for the RIS tomorrow, replaced 2 blow-offs with airlocks, and took two samples. I have 7 brews going right now with another starting tomorrow. A lot of bottling in my future :D

Today, I made a few different caramel/crystal malts, using base malt. I made a light, med-light, medium, and dark lovibond crystal malts.

I'm curous about the process you used. I've toasted my own grain by baking it in the oven, but what do you do to make caramel/crystal? I imagine it requires some kind of water bath followed by high temp baking?

I drilled a new bucket lid for blowoff bulkhead fitting, thermowell grommet hole, change the belt on the grain mill, polished up the thermowell that i welded up yesterday, start assembling low budget gas in/liquid out adapter for 3 liter kegging endeavor. I was quite busy this evening...

I'm curous about the process you used. I've toasted my own grain by baking it in the oven, but what do you do to make caramel/crystal? I imagine it requires some kind of water bath followed by high temp baking?

Soaked the grain overnight, mashed for a few hours, then kilned lightly until dry(oven). After that, cranked up the heat to around 350°F, and pulled out a portion every 5-10 mins.

IMG_0760.jpg

I kegged 2 beers (Citra Pale, American Amber) and cleaned the carboys they were in. Also kicked my keg of Berliner Weisse and tapped a Kolsch. SWMBO bought me some stick on stencils, I might etch my kettle tonight.

Ordered a cooler Mash Tun conversion valve setup from Bargain Fittings.

What did I do for a beer?
  1. Walked to basement to beer fridge
  2. Walked back up stairs carrying bottle of English Bitter
  3. Removed glass from cupboard
  4. Retrieved bottle opener from drawer
  5. Removed cap from bottle
  6. Poured beer into glass.
  7. Send smart ass post to HBT

Back