what the hell was he thinking.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Ok so I work as a line cook in a corporate chain restaurant, and the other day at work something very very strange happened....

A bartender comes up from the bar with a bottle of beer in her hand. she tells me "the guy who ordered this beer asked for it to be heated up" the guy wanted us to microwave his beer....

So I put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and she takes it out to him. She comes back in a few minutes still with the beer in her hand and tells me "he wants it microwaved more"

I end up microwaving this guys beer for 2 full minutes in an industrial kitchen microwave.. does anybody have any insight as to why this guy would do this? It blew me away.

by the way it was a Molson Canadian lager.

My guess is that the guy couldn't drink something cold for some medical reason. For example, people undergoing chemotherapy treatments commonly get nerve damage and cannot drink/eat/touch anything cold.

You should of got her to ask why.
I won't drink cold cask ale. I have known people to microwave a beer for 30 seconds to get it from 2° to 13°C

My guess is that the guy couldn't drink something cold for some medical reason. For example, people undergoing chemotherapy treatments commonly get nerve damage and cannot drink/eat/touch anything cold.

I can't imagine that if you're in that kind of condition where you can't drink anything cold, you can still be drinking beer.... :confused:

:off:

would that get rid of the alcohol?

Not much. I actually found out recently that cooking gets rid of very little alcohol, even though the boiling point is something like 170. Saw it on Good Eats. Alton had a table that showed time vs temperature and how much alcohol remained in the dish. You obviously cook with very little of it in the first place, but the "it cooks out" myth isn't necessarily true. You could catch a buzz by eating enough Banannas Foster.

A friend's wife doesn't really like beer but IF she does drink it she tells the bartender to get an unrefrigerated beer (and it's often Icehouse :(). She just prefers her beer at room temp.

It sometimes takes a while for a friend to catch on that many darker beers are better @ around 50 F than 40 F. They are conditioned by BMC to think colderer is betterer (which in the case of BMC is mostly true).

I still feel alot of shame and regret for microwaving a beer for 2 whole minutes, even if it was BMC. The bottle came out of the microwave with steam coming off of it

My mother-in-law prefers her beer at room temperature. She's also been known to send back frosted glasses in restaurants: "Can you get me a glass that's still warm from the dishwasher?"

I'll have to tell her about the microwaving trick...

Maybe he has a cavity and hasn't gotten to the dentist yet?

Or he's been watching a lot of True Blood lately? :D

mulled beer was and is still drunk to this day it was very popular in the 1600-1800 in the colonies but ale was used not Lagers. I have had a hot ale with cinnamon and spices very good on a cold night ..mulled beer

:off:

Not much. I actually found out recently that cooking gets rid of very little alcohol, even though the boiling point is something like 170. Saw it on Good Eats. Alton had a table that showed time vs temperature and how much alcohol remained in the dish. You obviously cook with very little of it in the first place, but the "it cooks out" myth isn't necessarily true. You could catch a buzz by eating enough Banannas Foster.

I think bananas foster is a different story, because you literally burn off the alcohol with an open flame.

"Heating beer was also considered necessary because of the dominance of homebrew. Frequent use of substandard ingredients, combined with questionable brewing equipment and techniques, made most home brewed beer unpalatable. Additions of spices and warming the beer increased its appeal, and if scorched, sugars caramelized, thereby adding a more gentle roundness."

see it was all those nasty homebrewers who started it .....:D

Perhaps he has a diminished sense of taste. (Chews tobacco?) By heating up the beer, it puts the flavors on "Full-Volume".

My mother-in-law prefers her beer at room temperature. She's also been known to send back frosted glasses in restaurants: "Can you get me a glass that's still warm from the dishwasher?"

i ask for room temp glasses.

I would have been concerned microwaving the bottle, that's a beer-volcano waiting to happen.

He was drinking Molson Canadian, he obviously doesn't like beer cause I'd rather drink my own urine after a night of drinking "real" beers than have one of those.
Honestly, I'm not sure you could do anything to Canadian to make it taste worse, heating it up might be the "secret" to making it palatable.

i don't know, a guys grandfather used to heat up his MacEwan (sp?) stout a little in a double boiler. It wasnt bad on a cold winter night.

never tried moosehead, er, Molson.

i can understand all of you who said they serve room temp beers, and in room temp glasses etc. depending on the style I would probably do the same. But like I literally "cooked" this guys beer for him in a microwave. But hey, it might be worth a try I guess... if I could sum up the courage to actually order a steaming hot canadian lager.

My dad never drank his beer cold. He drank Augsburger, and drank it warm. I'd go to his house and he'd ask if I wanted a beer. I'd say "sure". He'd say "help yourself. It's in the cupboard"

I don't think he would have heated it up to steaming, though......

Oh, and when I get a beer in a bar, I don't want a frosty, either.....

Maybe he's been to japan.

Upcoming Japanese Trend: Hot Beer

Posted by Robyn Lee, January 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM
How would you like to gulp down a frothy, steaming glass of...beer? According to American expat in Japan Peter Payne Japanese beer company Kirin is introducing Hot Beer, beer that is heated to about 120°F and accompanied by a cinnamon stick and sugar cubes. "The heat of the beer is supposed to bring out flavors not present when served cold, including a deep aroma not unlike that of coffee." If you're curious enough, you can try this at home by microwaving your own beer.

hotbeer.jpg

The latest cool thing in Japan -- Hot Beer?

Japan is a country that likes to embrace new things, and whatever new and bizarre trend comes along, J-List will be there to report it to you. The latest cool thing in Japan might just be hot, as Kirin introduces its new "Hot Beer" that's consumed in a steaming cup like coffee. Based on the company's Ichiban Shibori Stout dark beer, the drink is served with a stick of cinnamon and sugar cubes on the side. The heat of the beer is supposed to bring out flavors not present when served cold, including a deep aroma not unlike that of coffee. The beer is being test-marketed at the Kirin factory in Yokohama, but the company suggests that curious beer aficionados can try it by microwaving beer to about 120 degrees Farenheit (50 degrees Celsius) and stirring it rapidly to give the beer a Cuppochino-like foamy head on top. It's supposedly good poured over vanilla ice cream, too.

Latest posts

Back