New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys intend to do?

View Poll Results: Will you continue to brew dispite the price increase
Yes of course 187 89.90%
No way 2 0.96%
I might take a temporay hiatus 5 2.40%
What price increase? 14 6.73%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #41
boo boo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll keep on brewin'. It's my hobby and I have enough grain, hops and yeast to last me until 2009 if I have to.
Local BMC beers here cost me $22 a 12 pack which is still more than it costs me to brew 5 dozen including the gas.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #42
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

One last point I'd like to make before I drop it. Is about equipment costs. I think depreciation is a non factor if you bought high quality equipment. Anyone that invested in good stuff say 5 years ago could get more money for it now than they paid. How much is that copper IC you bought in 1999 worth today?

So I think it makes sense not to factor in the cost of equipment. As high quality equipment maintains it's value over the long haul. Plastic bucket's and glass carboys are so cheap that they are almost a non factor. Unless you regularly scratch or bust them

Last edited by abracadabra; 11-23-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #43
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
One last point I'd like to make before I drop it. Is about equipment costs. I think depreciation is a non factor if you bought high quality equipment. Anyone that invested in good stuff say 5 years ago could get more money for it now than they paid. How much is that copper IC you bought in 1999 worth today?

So I think it makes sense not to factor in the cost of equipment. As high quality equipment maintains it's value over the long haul. Plastic bucket's and glass carboys are so cheap that they are almost a non factor. Unless you regularly scratch or bust them
Sorry, but I can't let this go. You are concerned about the costs of your brews. Ingredient costs are going up, your time is valuable, yet you say the cost of the equipment is irrelevant. No, it is not. It is the most significant part of the hobby. Sure the copper in your immersion chiller may be worth more than when you bought it, but who is going to buy it from you for more than you paid? After time the fittings wear and will need to be replaced. Glass carboys may be cheap, but how many brews can you get from one at $20 each before it needs to be replaced? Tubing needs to be replaced periodically, as do racking canes, keg seals, and other odd parts. All of these things cost money and add to the price of your brew. If the cost of your time is important to you, then I don't see how you can dismiss the equipment costs.

BTW, I also value my time, but I don't place a $ amount on it for brewing. To me it is an escape - a time to unwind and relax doing something I enjoy. We all need to have an outlet to escape from the daily stresses in our life and brewing is one of mine. That makes my brewing time valuable and while I'm sure there is a point at which $s come into consideration, I'm a long way from that.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #44
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I quit doing things every time prices have risen I guess I wouldn’t be doing anything anymore. Just about all prices steadily rise. I didn’t quit driving when gas went up. I didn’t quit drinking coffee when coffee prices went up etc. Actually I just started roasting my own beans, so if I figure the $300 for the roaster, $200 for the grinder plus the cost of the green beans, airtight canisters, electricity and my hourly wage I may as well drive to Starbucks a couple times a day.

Edit: Spelling

Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #45
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
...I don't place a $ amount on it for brewing. To me it is an escape - a time to unwind and relax doing something I enjoy. We all need to have an outlet to escape from the daily stresses in our life and brewing is one of mine...
I recon I'll keep on brewing regardless. There are lots of free brew related activites that don't cost money.

I'd rather:
Clean kegs than watch TV.
Dick around with Beersmith than read a book.
Organize the brew shop than take a Sunday drive.
Sanitize beer bottles than chase a white ball around a golf course.
Dust off my grain mill than walk the dog.

And the SWMBO would rather I do all those things as long as it keeps me off her "back"......if you will...

Old 11-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #46
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
Sorry, but I can't let this go. , yet you say the cost of the equipment is irrelevant. .

Glass carboys may be cheap, but how many brews can you get from one at $20 each before it needs to be replaced?

No! I did not.

I said depreciation is a non factor if you bought high quality equipment.

And other disposable items such as plastic buckets (I get mine free) should last long enough that the costs drop below consideration.

How many brews can you get from a $20 glass carboy? 1000's

Last edited by abracadabra; 11-24-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #47
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My perspective on homebrewing is that it is a relatively inexpensive hobby that provides free beer to boot. I have a pilot’s certificate, planes rent for $90 per hour – and there’s no free beer. At six hours/batch and $30/batch, I’ve got a $5/hour hobby that, again, provides free beer. What’s not to like. Even at $60/batch, it would still be a relatively inexpensive hobby that, once again, yields free beer. To me (again, just my perspective), if you go into homebrewing to save money then it isn’t really a hobby, it’s a side job. As a side job, I can see where you want the best return for your time. Oversimplification, I know, but more or less accurate from my viewpoint.

Rick

Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #48
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

we recently bought a pallette of grain which got the price per bag down around the $22 mark and we do bulk hop buys. so as a group we are set for the rest of 08.

i would suggest you join a club - befriend a micro - ect and do all your purchases in bulk.

the good side of all of this is that we will be forced to use hops we normally don't which should produce some interesting beers.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #49
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickylr
I have a pilot’s certificate, planes rent for $90 per hour – if you go into homebrewing to save money then it isn’t really a hobby, it’s a side job. As a side job, I can see where you want the best return for your time. Oversimplification, I know, but more or less accurate from my viewpoint.

Rick
Rick

I have friends that love to fly and fly for a hobby. They've taken it further and have instructor lic. and now other people pay for them to fly. That doesn't make it any less of a hobby that now they fly for free or get paid to do it.

Same with another friend that loves to fish. People now pay for his fishing trips if he just takes them along, or pay him to take them out. The fact that he get his trips paid for or that people pay him to fish with them doesn't distract from his enjoyment of the sport.

I love to build and repair things. And the fact that I might get paid for repairing a guitar doesn't cause me to enjoy the process any less.

It's great to do what you love, If you can get someone to pay you for doing what you love to do you'll never have to work a day in your life. And it's not a job its getting paid for doing your hobby.

Just because it's a hobby I can't rationalize in my mind spending the money they are now charging. I could if the price of beer had doubled or almost doubled like hops and grain have, most other people that frequent this forum can and I'm happy for them, plus it helps keep the ecomony rolling.

Last edited by abracadabra; 11-25-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #50
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I can't rationalize in my mind spending the money they are now charging.
ok then what kind of equipment you have for sale?

give me a laundry list and i'm sure if you have some good stuff we can sell it fast.

Quick Reply