Well water and (natural) lime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmartigan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I live in a house with a well water system. I've been brewing here (all grain) for a little over a year now with no complications. The beer turns out fine. However, it has come to my attention that the water has a bunch of lime in it. I hear it can't hurt you, but I wanted to know what affects lime has on brewing.

Again, my beers taste great (to me at least) so it can't be that bad for brewing.

What are your thoughts/opinions/facts?

Thanks,
M

Im guessing it will effect the ph of the water, I think it should make the water more acidic. But without a water analysis, of everything else thats in your water it is impossible to say.

Hi there,

I live in a house with a well water system. I've been brewing here (all grain) for a little over a year now with no complications. The beer turns out fine. However, it has come to my attention that the water has a bunch of lime in it. I hear it can't hurt you, but I wanted to know what affects lime has on brewing.

Again, my beers taste great (to me at least) so it can't be that bad for brewing.

What are your thoughts/opinions/facts?

Thanks,
M

You should know exactly what is in your water as an AG brewer. Lime/Calcium Oxide is going to contribute to the alkalinity of the water. Some beer styles can handle and/or benefit more than others but get a water test so you will know where you stand and what you should do to the water for various types of beer.

Latest posts

Back