Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vendor Giveaways -- Bad Juju
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Lost_Arkitekt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default Vendor Giveaways -- Bad Juju

First, I just want to go on a little rant. As a small business owner and builder, I have donated time and free merchandise to all sorts of people from varying background. In our volatile economy,the Bill Gates of today might be tomorrow's vagrant. Look at the Great Depression and even as near as the oil boom in West Texas to see where millionaires flipped out because they lost it all.

That being said, we all can't afford to belong to every forum, have every home brew club membership, buy every magazine, software and book, and STILL have money to brew, buy these cool products and build our equipment cache.

Some of those out there are more fortunate, but think about it this way vendors...that $25 membership fee could be used to buy some of your products so that these home brewers can have an easier time/better time brewing.

Before you reply half-cocked, don't think I'm saying that people shouldn't pay to keep the site up, running and being successful, but I also know how websites work...there are plenty of ads on here that make money for the website owner...otherwise, it would be membership only sustained and no ads would be needed. At some point, I will definitely be a paid member here because I think the info you get is worth it...and having that access is as well.

But, at this point, I can't put the membership as a financial priority, and although some people may think that they should never pay, there are many of us out there who want to...but have other really pressing needs.

So, why not open the giveaways to everyone? Tomorrow, one of us non-paid members might win the Megabucks...and buy everything in sight! Just my $0.0235 cents (marginally adjusted for inflation).

Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The owner of the site uses the vendor giveaways as an incentive for people to become paying members. FYI, you can enter any of the giveaways without being a paying member by entering by mail. The details are in each of the giveaway threads.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 119

My take on it is this.... you can be a free member and look at a ton of ads. or you can pay a small amount and have a better experience. To me it is worth a few bucks to look at a site without ads.

The vendor give aways are just something likemthe lottery. I never win so it is no big deal.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 192

You can already access everything on the site for free. I don't see somebody buying a bunch of stuff from a vendor that they win something from if they can't afford a membership to the site for a year. Not trying to be a jerk, I totally understand, but the giveaways are kind of like a huge raffle, and you didn't buy a ticket.

That said I'm not sure I want to pay $25 to read people arguing about whether BMC sucks or not for another year. Maybe I would pay $10 for that

Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Y'know, at the peak of gas prices, if I drove my pickup to work, I burned almost $25 in gas JUST on my commute. I've wasted more money on dumber things. Yes, I haven't gotten around to paying for a membership here yet - it'll most likely happen, just I have some other big-ticket deals I'm forcing myself to deal with first.

I have no problem with the vendor giveaways being paid-member only. There has to be perks to paying a membership for sites like this.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Gab1788
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I get that paying helps the forum and I did last year. But I didn't really see any extra benefits that I cared about. My premium membership ran out last month but I don't think I'll renew it.
Just my two cents and all, but I don't care if I have an avatar, access to the bone yard and I don't really care about the adds. Also I live in Australia so the vendor give aways don't really count for me.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Arkitekt View Post
So, why not open the giveaways to everyone?
The giveaways are open to everyone. Non premium members can enter via postal mail. Premium members don't get any additional chances, only the convenience of entering via the forums.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I don't see the problem.
Many membership clubs have drawings that aren't open to non members.
The difference here is a non paid member is welcome and can participate in nearly anything.
Other clubs don't allow that.

Website owners and vendors that cater to the theme of the site have a financial relationship.
They pay for advertising, and in some cases donations for things like drawings can offset those costs and get them additional great advertising.
Both parties win.

It's not like most members will ever win anything anyway.
There are a ton of people on this site so odds are pretty slim.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 692 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Calling a $25 annual membership fee a hardship is laughable when you'll easily spend more than that on a typical 5-gallon batch of beer. The best part about this site is that 99% of the content is free and available to everyone regardless of your level of membership. The $25 membership gives you access to the Debate forum and other member-only forums. I do like that we are given small perks like being able to enter the vendor giveaways through a post on the forum instead of mailing out a form, but these giveaways are not exclusive to members only.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Closed Thread

Quick Reply