US Grown Hops Shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought some hops from Seven Bridges Cooperative, including two American-grown hop varieties I had never heard of before, Ivanhoe and Bravo:

http://www.breworganic.com/california-ivanhoe-organic-whole-hops.aspx
California Ivanhoe Organic Whole Hops

8% AAU. 4.6% Beta. The original California Cluster variety has been rejuvenated for the first time in more than a half century. Similar in profile to a Cascade with a moderate alpha in the 8% range, it has a nice aroma with mellow hints of citrus and pine and the strong floral/herbal notes typical of English aroma hops. The exact origins of the Ivanhoe hop are unknown but the original California Cluster hop parent was a cross between English and American varieties. Great for American style ales, California Common, stouts, and IPA's. Try in recipes that call for: Galena, Cluster, Northern Brewer.

http://www.breworganic.com/american-bravo-organic-whole-hops.aspx
2010 Crop. 13.5% Ave. Alpha Acid. This is a new breed of American hops, which are rapidly becoming a favored bittering hop. Ours are organically grown in the state of Idaho. Bravo hops are descended from Zeus and Nugget. They have a very clean and smooth bitterness and highly pleasant aroma. Aromas of light fruit (apple and pear) with a flowery note dominate. Very light hint of tangerine and apricot, and slight earthy background. Exhibiting bittering qualities similar to Chinook, Bravo is a great hop for stouts, IPA's, and other big beers. Because this hop has such a pleasant aroma it is a great candidate for a single hop beer. The quality of these hops is proof beyond a doubt that American hop growers can produce a superior quality hop using certified organic methods.

Interestingly, the Bravo hops are grown on an organic farm in Idaho.

The nice thing about subbing bittering hops is just that....they are for bittering. Most of the flavor and aroma are lost in the boil...so fine a good AA sub and you'll be fine. Amarillo for Citra should work fine, but then again, it sounds like Amarillo is short too....not in my freezer!!!

pm5k00 said:
I usually call before I goto my LHBS to make sure they have what I need before I drive over, or bring 3 or 4 recipes so I don't have to sub anything.

I usually end up making beer. Sometimes not exactly what I intended, but still usually beer.

I usually call before I goto my LHBS to make sure they have what I need before I drive over, or bring 3 or 4 recipes so I don't have to sub anything.

Our "little" shop here on O`ahu has a web site w/ingredients listed that is really kept up to date. I can go on line and check before I drive the 35 miles to pick them up. :mug:

I usually end up making beer. Sometimes not exactly what I intended, but still usually beer.

That's good to hear, if you didn't end up with beer I would have to suggest another hobby. ;) Some of us are more willing to compromise than others, 99% of the time I brew my own recipes and I want them exactly as I created them, not something close.

Our "little" shop here on O`ahu has a web site w/ingredients listed that is really kept up to date. I can go on line and check before I drive the 35 miles to pick them up. :mug:

It would be nice to be so lucky, my LHBS has a website with a store but they don't have an active inventory linked to it, and as such list everything all the time, whether its in stock or not.

The nice thing about subbing bittering hops is just that....they are for bittering. Most of the flavor and aroma are lost in the boil...so fine a good AA sub and you'll be fine. Amarillo for Citra should work fine, but then again, it sounds like Amarillo is short too....not in my freezer!!!

I think cohumulone affects the quality of bitterness, whether it's sharp or mellow, so I also take that into account when subbing bittering hops.

Not saying there isn't a problem but I am brewing my all citra wpa tomorrow I didn't need to look any further than my LHBS. They have plenty of Amarillo too. Didn't look for Simcoe but I hope they have it because I want to use these varieties. The good side is maybe there is some opportunity for some farmers out there to make some money.

The only thing my LHBS has been out of for awhile is Simcoe, but AHS has it instock all the time, even now. There's not much of a shortage IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back