Traveling to Boston - beer activities/places

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugguson

Reaction score
Hello.

I will be in Boston from 21. to 28. of this month. Is there any beer related things that you can recommend? I'm talking about get-togethers/shows/home brewing shops/pubs/breweries etc.

Regards,
Johann

Definitely check out Sunset Grill, it's over by Boston University, about 2 miles west of Fenway if I recall. They have a great draft selection that will include some pretty rare/sought after beers and they also have a amazing bottle list. I was there over the summer for a beer (my wife was pregnant at the time so we didn't stay long), I had the Lost Abbey Brandy Aged Angels Share....

3 things I would hit up:

Harpoon Brewery - Located in the seaport area, really easy to get to. Free tastings during the week (I think they're at 4).

Cambridge Commons - best selection of IPAs and good bear you'll find in the city IMO
http://www.cambridgecommonrestaurant.com/main.html

And then there are a bunch of decent brew pubs. Beer Works, Cambridge Brewing Company, and some others.

Thanks for the great tips - I will make sure to check all those out. Any more tips?

A couple of great beer bars I would certainly recommend that are all pretty close (a very reasonable cab ride or short T (subway) ride)

- MeadHall - (Cambridge/Boston Line)
- Lord Hobo - (Cambridge/Boston Line)
- Cambridge Brewing Company - (Cambridge/Boston Line)
.... all three of the above are a very short walk from each other.

- Kinsale (Government Center area of downtown Boston)
- Stoddards (Downtown Crossing area of downtown Boston)
- Bukowski (Hynes Convention area of downtown Boston)

- Deep Ellum - (Allston/Brighton)
- Public House - (Brookline)

Personally... and I've said this a bunch of times and, I admit, I should probably give it another chance at some point but... i wouldn't drink at Sunset for free.

If it were me... I would hit the CBC, Hobo, Meadhall and then make a special trip to the Public House.

You couldn't go wrong with anything on Cape's list. I would add Jacob Wirth's in the theater District. Good food and has a nice beer list..

Cambridge Brewing Company is a must. One of the best brewpubs in the country. Can't miss. Great food, sit and eat dinner.

Lord hobo just a couple blocks away is a beer nerd haven, great tap selection (40ish), my favorite bar in the city. Very good food, high-end gastropub. Used to be overrun by hipsters but they've died down a bit.

Meadhall is good too, great beer list, food is kinda overpriced if you ask me though.

^^^^ do these and walk between them IMO. There's more good spots within a 10-15min walk if you wanna do a pub crawl, then you can always hop on the T and move further into Cambridge for some more good spots. This is where it's at in Boston though if you ask me.

Cambridge Common a bit further into Cambridge is really good too, they have 6ish rotating taps and some great beers (like Ithaca Flower Power) always on tap. Good food, pub prices. Kinda out of your way though.

In Brighton you have American Craft and Publick House, both are awesome, esp Publick House. Food is pricey and it takes forever to get a seat. Beer selection is great. If it gets crowded I find myself wanting to leave though.

Deep Ellum in Allston/Brighton (not too far from Publick House) is really good. Small place, really interesting beers and great pretzels!

It's very close to Sunset which has 100ish taps and can be really fun for a well-priced meal of mexican or bar food and a few beers. I really only go there at lunchtime though, the lunch bartender is the best. Sunset's prices can be a little wonky but overall it's fine and a good choice if you're going with a large group.

Found a massive pubcrawl post I made for someone on another forum:

Since I did that I'm gonna make this more of a bullet list. IMO the best place by far is Cambridge, tons of options and they're great. Every square is on the red line T (except Inman) and you can walk pretty much the whole way across. Allston/Brighton would be second, there's several great bars there. Downtown/fenway is more of a bar/club atmosphere and all the bars are pretty much the same (Boston Beer Works is okay if you don't mind only liking 1 out of every 5 beers), in Cambridge you get more of a pub atmosphere with a LOT of great beer. Fenway is fun on gameday for the atmosphere, and Bleacher Bar is cool cuz you can see into the stadium from the right field wall. I personally dislike going out in the downtown-ish area, have never had a good time, I think it's just not my cup of tea.

I'm gonna go from square to square starting at Kendall, the one closest to downtown.

Kendall - must go, best spot for drinking IMO. MIT area.

- Meadhall - new place, lots of great beer, big couches. Expensive food, just drink there. Def check it out.
- Cambridge Brewing Company - best place in Boston IMO. Their beer is awesome, their food is awesome. Bar area isn't huge but it's fine, outdoor seating area rocks. Good place to sit and eat dinner or order a pizza or apps.
- Lord Hobo - prolly my fav bar, 30ish rotating taps, high end gastro pub (truffle aioli fries and calamari are amazing). Used to be kinda hipstery but that's gone away recently, has kind of an alternative feel to it. Bartenders know me and I get free beer sometimes, and they're awesome.

From Kendall you can either walk to Inman via Hampshire St (7min and you'll be walking past my apt :D) or Central (little futher), or take the T to Central. If you walk to Central, stop in at the Asgard, a huge Irish place with cheaper craft beer and a good sized bar area. If you're not walking this way, it's prolly not worth it to backtrack. Also on the way is Miracle of Science, a decent bar with a few good beer choices that'd be a good spot to grab a beer.

Inman
- overall not amazing but a few good choices for a pubcrawl. Less built up since there's no T stop. May be skippable. Taza Chocolate is nearby if you wanna do a chocolate factory tour, it's a tiny bean to bar chocolate maker, need a reservation.

-Bukowski's Tavern - Big place, good beer selection, a little overpriced but not too bad. Esp worth it if you get the buk burger with cheese and fries for $4, but that's only before 8 on weekdays.
- The Druid - a couple storefronts down, smaller irish bar with about 8 taps, decent selection and prices.
- Trina's Starlight Lounge - small place with a small bar, 6 or so taps, mainly a mixed drink place. Prolly not good for a group, but a good place. Check the website to see what's on tap.
- Thirsty Scholar - a little out of the way but a good bar, pretty big, kind of a sports bar I guess. Probably not viable on a pub crawl.

From Inman you'd want to walk to Central via Prospect St, there's not much on the way, it's about an 8min walk.

Central - kinda faceless and built up. One really good bar, several good stop-in spots. Falafel Palace is a great spot to grab a quick falafel or lamb wrap to eat as you walk.

Green Street - the good bar here. Nice pub, great beer and food.
The Field - Rugby/soccer bar you'd pass if coming from Inman. Mediocre beer selection, decent sized place. I stop in occasionally.
Tavern in the Square - big sports bar. Beer prices are stupid, you can get a bottle of Ommegang for the same price as a Sam Adams on draft (so get belgian bottles there).
Phoenix Landing - Surprisingly good beer selection, kind of a strange place. Usually turns into a club later at night, I go often on Thursdays for drum n bass night.
Middle East - pretty well known concert venue and restaurant, haven't been there to drink though, just go to shows.

From Central you'll want to head to Harvard via walking or T. It's a decent walk but not too bad. If you do walk there's a good place to check out, Garden at the Cellar. I haven't been to the downstairs bar but the restaurant upstairs is one of the best palces I've ever eaten at in my life. The bar is always full so that's a good sign. Also on the way is People's Republik, it looks like a commie bar, lol. I haven't been there so I can't really comment on it though I've heard it's pretty cool.

Harvard - mainly full of restaurants as far as I know. There's a bunch of places I didn't list that might work to stop in and get a drink but I've never really tried it, I normally stick to the other squares. The below are good pubcrawl options though.

- John Harvard's - Brewpub with a few choices at any given time, huge space. Never had a great beer there, but I've never had a bad one either.
- Charlie's - kind of a chaotic place, usually a few choice craft beers on tap. There's the downstairs, upstairs, and usually outdoor areas, you'd def want to do the outdoor. A lot of people looove this place, I wind up there with friends sometimes. Gets hectic but it's pretty cool.
- Tommy Doyle's - there's another one of these next to CBC in Kendall but I didn't bother to mention it. Figured I'd mention it here since there's not much else for me to list, lol. Irish bar, okay place. Kind of a bro atmosphere.

From Harvard it's a decent hike to Porter. The good thing about walking is halfway there is probably my favorite non-kendall bar in Cambridge, Cambridge Common. Big place, solid choice of beers (~12 or so, and Ithaca Flower Power is always on tap), good for apps.

Porter - I typically think of Cambridge Common when I think Porter, but there's a couple places that'd be a good stop too.

Tavern in the Square - basically the same as the Central version.
Christopher's - good taplist, more of a restaurant until later on. Might be awkward if you can't get a bar spot but I've popped in just to leave several times so they're used to it.
Spirit - a little further down, kind of a crappy bar with all macro beers and Sam Adams (just like downtown or Fenway, basically). It's cheap and does its job well.

Davis is not far at all from Porter so you def should walk this one.

Davis - Tufts-ish area. One great option, a few good places to stop at on a crawl.

Redbones BBQ - awesome. Food is great, beer is great. Downstairs is Underbones which is where you'll want to go, it's the bar area. One thing to note is that if you order something big like a belgian triple or a RIS you HAVE to ask for a 10oz pour or else you'll get a whole pint and pay like $11. Other than that it's awesome, love it there.
Sligo - Terrible dive bar with terrible beer. But kind of awesome. The tables (all 2 of them) are all carved up and the place is just totally a ****ty dive. Kinda just worth seeing.
The Burren - friends of mine love this place, I think it's fine. Acts as a small concert venue and comedians perform here in the back area. Big place, usually there's a couple craft options. Not bad but if there's a cover I wouldn't bother. It's the only place I've been to in Boston that has a cover for something as common as a local 80s cover band.
Joshua Tree - Big sports bar, kinda turns into a club later at night. I used to watch Bills games at the one in Brighton, not a good beer selection and food isn't good. But it may be worth a stop.

----------

So that's my guide to drinking in Cambridge! As I said in my descriptions, highlights in my mind are CBC, Hobo, Meadhall, Cambridge Common, and Redbones. IMO, Cambridge is by far the best, esp given my understanding of your beer preferences :thumbsup:

My other choice would be Allston/Brighton. American Craft and Publick House are great, the latter gets a bit crowded sometimes though. A pretty good walk away is Sunset with 100+ taps. It's huge and I don't think they mind you grabbing a table for just nachos and beer or something if there's no bar space (the nachos are HUGE). There's a few places around Sunset that would be good to stop in though none are real standouts. The last spot here is Deep Ellum, a smaller bar with an eclectic selection of usually great beers. And omfg the pretzels. Love this place. Also in a diff spot in Brighton is a place with a bunch of decent bars like Porter Belly's and Brighton Beer Garden. This one is kinda hard to get to though. The big problem with Brighton is that it's on the Green line which ****ing sucks. It's so slow and takes FOREVER to get anywhere (especially Cambridge). What you could do though is get on the T after Deep Ellum area and head towards downtown or Fenway which isn't too bad a ride. Or, get on the 64 bus from here and take it to Central Square or something.

:mytwocents:

Wow, thanks for all the great info, especially bovinblitz and cape.

Are there any brew/beer get-together's between 21. and 28. of oktober in central area?

I really enjoyed the Sam Adams Tour. Granted, this was before I started homebrewing, but I also haven't jumoed on the "Sam Adams is a macro-brewery" bandwagon yet. The tasting at the end is pretty fun, and if you get one of the good tourguides, you should have fun. You can also catch a bus over to Doyle's, the first bar that ever bought a keg off of Jim Koch. Pretty historic pub, featured in a lot of movies. If nothing else, if you order a Sam Adams pint, you get to keep the glass. So you basically get an 8 oz tasting glass, a 16 oz. Boston Lager glass, a pint of your choice at Doyle's, and 4 or 5 8 oz. tasters of various Sam Adams brews. I thought it was a great way to spend a couple hours.

I would definately go to the Harpoon Tasting, its M-F twice a day, where they basically have 90% of their beer line up on tap for you to try for free.

The Sam Adam's tour is also cool, esp if you have people who are just getting into brewing or not brewers. It is run nicely and gives alot of basic information. Doyles can be fun to go to after the tour as well.

Tomorrow I am going to the Blue Hills Brewery for the first time, but they have tours on Fri and Sat.

The publick house has a decent selection of beer and food as well

I thought the Sam Adams tour was absolutely terrible. We were given the tour by some girl in marketing who had no idea about brewing and the samples were a joke at the end. You get to try 3 different beers (Sam Adams + 2 others). Sam Adams brews most of their beers in Ohio or something like that and I bet visiting that place would be amazing. Harpoon is a much better tour and you can try every beer they have on tap at the end (10+).

Back