Transporting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
I'm flying to Denver from Virginia in a few days and want to bring some bottle with me. What is the best way to pack them (about 12) and are there any legal issues; crossing state lines with alcohol, TSA rules?????

You cannot put them in your carry on (too many ounces (TSA rule)). But you can bring them in your checked luggage. I've brought rum back from Puerto Rico several times. State lines are OK.

I was in a beer of the month club and they package their beers in cardboard boxes with a formed cutout to support the bases and necks of the bottles and packaged with foam around them. It might be worth shipping the beer like that instead of leaving it to the airlines who will likely screw it up, break it, lose it, or inspect it, realize it's beer and drink it on you.

I have brought beer and wine back from south Africa and Europe plus a few places in the US. I just put each bottle in its own plastic bag and wrap each bag with a shirt or two. I have never had any problems. There is an ounce total limit if coming from another country but not sure about state to state.

I built a little crate out of wood for this, but it only holds eight bombers. I've also done it in a regular cardboard box inside my checked luggage. I'd recommend putting individual bottles into ziplock bags, and use some bubble wrap for extra cushioning.

As for legality, it's not against Federal law but it could be against state and/or local law; for example Utah doesn't allow any alcohol to be brought in that wasn't purchased through the state liquor store.

I know Jet Blue doesn't have any limit on beer or wine except for weight limits, but they do on distilled alcohol depending on the alcohol content. The reason for this is they're considered hazardous material due to being flammable. I'm guessing most airlines have similar guidelines.

Back