Transferring beer with lots of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got done transferring a black ipa with 1.5 ounce of whole amarillo and 1.5 ounce each of citra/simcoe pellets dry hop and the same amount added with a minute left in the boil. I was suppose to get around 4 gallons at the end but probably barely got 2.5 and maybe less. I started with 4.5 gallons. How do you guys transfer these beers and not loose that much beer. I thought i might lose 0.75 gallons but not this much. My siphon was wrapped with a large mesh bag to filter and it kept stopping and bringing air into the beer. Any good techniques?

i have been told that it is ok to squeeze the hops from the boil pot to get the liquid out of them (don't do that with grain). what about dry hopping? squeeze the hops?

I get most of the liquid going into the fermenter but whirfloc and dry hopping results in a 3-4 inches of sediment in primary and secondary. Plus trying to filter the hop particles out causes the siphon to start stop many times.

If you had boiled with the hops in a strainer bag, you could put on a pair of sanitized rubber gloves and squeeze the bag at the end of the process. I've seen people do that without the gloves and can only imagine the pain, plus the lack of sanitization.

i boil hops in a bag, leaf or pellets. i fish the hops bag out of the wort with a sanitized spoon, grab the rope, and squeeze the bag against the inside of the pot with the spoon.

check out this video, right around the 3 minute mark. this guy seems to have a good method for getting the wet hops out of the wort. remember, that wire basket would be HARD to sanitize for dry hops removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back