Traditional Dutch beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryJohn

Reaction score
I'm looking into brewing some traditional Dutch beer, but I'm having trouble getting information. I'm not talking about brewing a heineken clone. From what I've read so far, saison/belgian styles were historically popular, as well as pilsner/lager styles. (This makes sense as the Netherlands are inbetween Belgium and Germany.) However, does anyone have any knowledge or info on what might separate a beer as being "Dutch" compared to its Belgian/German counterparts? Any special ingredients, brewing processes, styles, ect? Thanks!

How far back in Dutch history do you want to go?

I was doing some research on this and found references to 'gruit' or 'grut' style beers from the 1400s. This was before hops were widely used and herbs like bog myrtle, yarrow, and juniper were the norm. (A History of Beer and Brewing by Ian Spencer Hornsey)

If you are looking for a style from more recent times, I think you are right that there will be influences from both Germany and Belgium, as well as England because of all the trade between them.

Odd I just had one of these: Bierbrouwerij Sint Christoffel B.V . I think it was the standard variety. It was an odd beer. There was a strong skunky finish but like a hoppy skunk not a lightstruck skunk...really hard to explain. To me that skunkyness screams "dutch beer" ...

Very excellent. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for when I started this thread, and the info is still relevant to my interests.

Thanks for posting and for being brave enough to resurrect the thread.

rant:
I actually hate it when people discourage posting on very old threads, because you never know if the info will be relevant either to the original poster or someone who comes across it via a google search several years later.

Good stuff!

Thanks, GaryJohn! I've got Dutch parents so this stuff is really fascinating for me too. I've been in email contact with the guy who runs the site and he's really working hard at getting breweries to start brewing some of these beers.

They've written up some style guidelines for Kuyt/Koyt:
The grain bill must contain a minimum of:
A minimum of 45% by wt. of oats, oat flakes or oat malt
a minimum of 20% by wt. of wheat or malted wheat
a maximum of 35% by wt. of Pilsner or Pale Ale malt.
The original gravity / stamwort of the beer must be between 1.050 en 1.080 s.g. / 12.40 – 19.30 ° Plato.
The alcohol content must be between 4,7 en 7,9 vol% zijn. (based on a brewhouse efficiency of approx. 65% and an apparent degree of fermentation of approx. 74%).
The colour of the beer must be between 10 EBC (blond) and 25 EBC (gold/amber). A colour above 15 EBC can be attained using a long boil over an open fire (as done in the middle ages) and not from the grains or malts.
The beer must be fermented with a neutral ale yeast (e.g. not with a Bavarian Wheat beer strain).
The beer is relatively bitter however, hop aroma should stronger than hop bitterness.
Only the following older European (noble) hop varieties may be used:
Hallertau Mittelfrüh
Saaz Saaz
Tettnang Tettnang
Spalt Spalt
East Kent Goldings
Hop bitterness must be between 25 and 35 EBU.
No herbs, spices, fruits or other foodstuffs (other that the ingredients listed above) may be used.
The beer may be slightly hazy in clarity.
The beer must have at least a thin layer of stable foam.

Would be cool if someone brewed up that recipe that brewtas posted and post some pics. Hmm, I might even do it.

I'm keen to brew it but I might not be able to get to it very soon. Definitely post up pics if you give it a go. WY3787 is one of the recommended strains to try but I'd also like to use WY1026 since it's supposed to be originally from the old Oranjeboom Brewery.

brewtas, come up with a sample recipe and I'll brew it in 2 weeks.

Are there any other specialty grains allowed besides the 3 you mentioned from that style guidline?

EDIT: I'm not Dutch but I'd like to try something non-traditional.

You're keen! I'd say specialty grains are a no if you're shooting for authenticity. If you use good quality malts you'll get plenty of flavour and I think they'd end up obscuring the nuances of the oat/wheat/pils. I'd aim for German or Belgian malts but down here the only oat malt I can get is English. That's probably fine anyway. The Netherlands has always been a bit of a crossroads. I've never used oat malt in brewing before but apparently it was pretty common as an ingredient in Dutch beer.

The recipe I made to fit the guidelines is:

Opa Kuyt
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.013
IBU: 30
EBC: ~10
ABV: 6%

50% Oat malt
30% Pils malt
20% Wheat malt

Mash around 65 celsius for 90 min or 80 min with a mash out if you're set up for that. Boil for 90 min.

21 IBUs of Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 90 min
9 IBUs of Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 15 min
Same quantity of Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 0 min

WY3787 or WY1026. Start off on the cool side, 17/18 celsius (I think that's mid 60s fahrenheit) but you can let it run warmer after the first 48 hours or so.

Feel free to increase the OG up to the upper limits of the description and the IBUs to 35 if you like.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes! :D

Great, that's something I can work with.

I'll work on a recipe based on that. Never brewed with that much oat before. Should be fun. I'm sure the guys at the club will be interested in this also.

This is the recipe I'll be shooting for:

6.5lbs Oats, Malted 50%
4.0lbs Pilsner Belgian 30.8%
2.5lbs Wheat Malt German 19.2%
1.50oz. Hallertauer @ 90 (22.8IBU)
1.25oz. Hallertauer @ 15 (8.8IBU)
1.00oz. Hallertauer @ flame out
1.0 pkg British Cask Ale (Wyeast Labs 1026)

est OG: 1.061
IBU: 31.7
Color: 3.3SRM
est ABV 6.5%

Any suggestions?

No suggestions here, that looks great to me. I've got to get one of these going for myself... and a schipluyden, the IPA that existed before the English even had a colony in India. Too many beers to brew. :)

I'm going to have to delay the brew by 1 week. Turns out my club is planning a 1bbl batch of Apricot Amberweisen next weekend. I'll have to brew koyt the following week. Already put my grain order in so I've sort of already committed myself to brewing this. So no worries. It will get done, just a week late.

Picked up the grain bill today. The British Cask Ale yeast wasn't avail. so I used the alternate WY3787 yeast.

The beer is made. Missed OG by a decent margin. OG ended up being 1.053.

The mash was at 150°

Sparge water was at 168°

The 2nd runnings were very milky. Almost like dirty bath water.

Did a 90 minute boil. After 45 minutes I thought I was going to end up with low volume so I lowered the boil a bit. Ended up with about 5.5 gallons.

I also forgot the whirfloc.

I'll probably move to a secondary in a week or two.

This batch fermented fast! Krausen already dropped. This Sunday I'll transfer to secondary (and weigh it).

Transferred to secondary and weighed. Weighed in at 1.010 so it looks like its done. I'll most likely bottle next weekend.

Certainly isn't very clear. I know I forgot the whirfloc. Guess it's the wheat and malted oats.

I'll try to post the picture from crappy phone.

koyt.jpg

It's bottled. I tried a sample of the warm/uncarbed beer. Reminded me of a session ale. Not a whole lot of flavor.

A more detailed review once it's carbed.

koyt.jpg

Back