Starch conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
I'm posting here because I have no intention to brew with this.

I was camping this weekend, and when I camp, I have a lot of time to think. I happened to be making dinner at the time and needed to strain that starchy spaghetti water. It got me thinking about if that starch could be converted to sugars. The noodles are made of wheat, wouldn't that starch be the same thing as we have in our grain, isn't it? Couldn't someone cook this at about 150 for an hour, would it convert to a fermentable sugar?

I doubt the pasta has the required enzymes to perform the actual conversion. If you mashed it with some 2row for enzymes it may convert, I'm just guessing though. :)

The starch is the same, but wheat wasn't malted, so no enzymes. A little spit would work, slowly.

That's it. The two main starches are amylose and amylopectin. Anything that contains these starches could be converted, but you need the enzymes to break the starches down into fermentable sugars.

I don't think its required to germinate the wheat prior to making flour and thus dough out of it. Without germination, the required enzymes for conversion may not be present. Also, the 'crush' to make it into flour prior to making the noodles would probably be a bit too fine to yield anything you'd want to drink. :)

edit: I see I was beaten to the punch by 3 people in the time it took me to write the post.

Boy, that was quick. As i said, I have no intention to brew with this, just curious. Thanks for the response.

Back