Star San in spray bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know how long a batch of Star San in a spray bottle will maintain its strength?

Thanks!

Best way to know for sure that it will work is to check the pH. as long as it's around pH of 3, it should be fine, but in my experience a sealed bottle lasts at least a month...

I realize that not everybody has pH paper but litmus paper is actually pretty cheap if you look at a your LHBS

From what I've read, san star in a bottle with distilled water will last for months. But it's always good to check the pH as mentioned.

If you use very soft water, pretty much forever. The minerals in hard water degrade the detergent part and use up a little of the acid. Use RO, distilled or DI water.

If it’s clear and the pH is 3.5 or less, it’s good. If it’s cloudy when you mix it, it’s ok that day, but you should make a fresh batch on the next brew day.

Craigtube did a test about clear vs cloudy starsan. Cloudiness has no effect on it's acidic effectiveness. I've kept Starsan in my spray bottle for months,but keep it topped off as well.

I have no real idea how long my Starsan lasts. I have a 5 gallon water bottle and top up my spray bottle from it. The 5 gallon bottle usually has a couple of gallons in it. When it gets low I add another gallon or 2. I never use it all, but use ph test strips to check it. It has never gone bad and I guess my water is good because it never gets cloudy either.

For some reason,the Starsan in my spray bottle stays clear. But the SunnyD jug of it clouds up. I guess the spray bottles seal better?

Where the confusion comes in is the length of time the solution can be kept and how can you tell if it is still good. The answer lies with the acid concentration and the types of minerals in the water. When there is a high calcium or carbonate content in the water the pH of the end solution will approach 3.5 if it is above this then the solution will not kill micro-organisms. Because phosphoric acid is a poor chelator* for magnesium this element if present in the water will react with the DDBSA and make a type of hard mineral soap. This soap is the cloud that will some times appear in a Star San Solution. The amount of this mineral and in some cases even iron can be chelated by using citric acid in the make up water. Most of the time I tell brewers to use a mixture of DI water or distilled what that is common in super markets. As long as the solution is clear and the pH is below 3.5 it will kill, how long this is will depend on the amount of times used and how clean the equipment was when sanitized.

-Charlie Talley

The official answer is that Star San solutions should be clear and a pH below 3.5.

If you used Distilled water the solution would not turn cloudy. The product can react with hard water and turn cloudy. The Minerals in the water can react with the anionic portion of the star san and cause it to go bad. Yes, when this happens you should consider making a fresh solution. The cloudiness usually forms after a dwell time or when people try and store the solution for multiple weeks. If this is the case then, yes always start with a fresh solution.

Jon Herskovits
Five Star

If you don’t want to believe me, how about the guy that invented it, or the company that makes it?

The conventional wisdom is that it’s the acid that kills, ignoring the DDBSA.

If it was just the acid we could use vinegar or lemon juice.

For some reason,the Starsan in my spray bottle stays clear. But the SunnyD jug of it clouds up. I guess the spray bottles seal better?

Are you reusing the stuff in the SunnyD Jugs? I keep starsan for quite a while, but eventually it will start to cloud up if you are reusing it. I'm pretty sure for me, it's the use of hard water to clean things, then dipping that in the bucket to sanitize. Eventually, those minerals from the hard water will build up and cloud the starsan. In the spray bottle, you are just using it up, then adding fresh. You aren't introducing any minerals into the solution.

At least this is what I assume is happening to mine that I re-use. It does slowly get cloudier.

We have soft water,but I only use it for Starsan & PBW. Under a microscope,it has a lot of seemingly dead ameabas in it,with little bits of crud.
So I think maybe a filter would help in that regard around here?...

I bought some PH test strips and tested the StarSan I have in the bottle and it tested low so I'm good. It's been in the bottle for a month so that's a good sign for my water I suppose?

We have soft water,but I only use it for Starsan & PBW. Under a microscope,it has a lot of seemingly dead ameabas in it,with little bits of crud.
So I think maybe a filter would help in that regard around here?...

Are you serious? Who provides your water service? Is it your own well?

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

I always make a new batch of Star San regardless of how much I have left over from a previous brew....to me it's not worth risking an infected brew.

I always make a new batch of Star San regardless of how much I have left over from a previous brew....to me it's not worth risking an infected brew.

Yup, same here. I make up a fresh batch any time I need some. Normally I will make 5 gallons of solution and use that to clean everything for a brew day, or make 3 gallons to sanitize my bottles before bottling. If need be I will make a small amount for intermittent use (1-2 cups).

Back