Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Show of hands: Who doesn't want to go into commercial brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
homestarhanes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

the only way i would ever dream of anything like that is if i won the lotto and i didnt have to work. then i would just ope up a brewpub just for the activity and becuase there isnt any brewpubs around my town. we have a gordon beirsch, but i dont really enjoy many of their beers.

watch the documentry 'Beer Wars' and it will throw a new light on todays beer industry. there is a lot of bs that goes into starting/ operating/ owning a brewery.

Beer is basicly tea+ yeast. Everyone tells me that tea is good for you. So by process of elimination beer is good for you! WIN!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBiersSWMBO View Post
My dream isn't a brewpub. My dream would be to have a small building next my home just for brewing, with floor drains, a bar, and lots of storage. That sounds like heaven to me.
Sign me up for that dream as well!!!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I love beer and brewing too much to ever want to do it for a living. It's that simple...homebrewing and professional brewing are NOT the same.

It's one thing sleeping in and brewing a batch of beer starting at 10am on a saturday with some friends and several beers on hand, riffing your recipe as you go along and starting out at 5 in the morning in hip waders to muck out a truckload of wet stinky grain before you can get started on today's long 5 or 10bbl brewday, where you can't stray from your recipe/methods/taste of your finish product or else you run the risk of sinking your reputation or losing money. If we have a recipe go off kilter or something happen we're out 5 gallons, maybe 10.....or we drink it, but as watching the Brewmaster's shows, if something goes wrong you open your valve and dump a half million dollars down the drain.....

I find it amusing too that so many folks think they are going to "go pro" I wonder how many of them even understand what that really means.

The most I would maybe like to do 'proffessionally" is teach brewing, write the occasional book, and maybe own an LHBS, or maybe work part time in one when I retire....but even then, that could take the magic out of it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I find it amusing too that so many folks think they are going to "go pro" I wonder how many of them even understand what that really means.
To those who make it happen and really want it I say, "Go for it!" However, it seems a lot of times it's premature enthusiasm. A lot of those threads start along the lines of:

Hey, new brewer here, glad to be on HBT! Wife bought me a Mr. Beer for Christmas and I've just finished brewing my first batch. Already I have this dream of opening my own brewery...

The OP then starts asking for advice on how to do that and all I can think is, "Whoa, uh, slow down there Junior, one step at a time!! It's great to be enthusiastic, but why don't we get this first beer out of the way?"

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds like a cool idea and then you watch a show like Brew Masters and it kind of makes you think about going to the next level. With that said I don't I would take that step I enjoy doing it becuas it's a fun hobby. I look around and see how many micro breweries there in the world today and it seems to be a VERY competitive venture.

I think I will sit on the sidelines and drink the occasional commercial brew and enjoy the hobby.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

Why ruin a perfectly good hobby by making it a job. I have to agree with some of what Revvy is saying. Too many homebrewers assume that commercial brewing is an end goal or a logical extension of a homebrewing hobby. They are in two completely different ballparks. I might open an LHBS as a retirement venture many years from now. Not necessarily because I think it's a dream job, but more because it's something I could reasonably do given my area of expertise.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
I don't know about commercial but I would like to be able to sell my crafts locally at the market.
^^^^This ^^^^

There's a little farmers market set up around the corner from my house on Saturday mornings during the summer. Use to be nice to go pick up a fresh loaf of bread, pies and cakes. If it weren't for government putting their hands in everything, it’d be great to sell beer there once in a while. They even put the home bakers out of business. If you don't have a commercially licensed kitchen, you can't sell any of your goods, so alcohol is way out of the question.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I'm fine just how it is now. Home brewing once or twice every few months, enjoying wings/pizza/fries/spicy food with friends with home brew on tap. My garage and/or backyard will become our poker/cigar/bbq palace just like my dad had with his friends. I could care less about competitions, trying to make profit, or selling my creations.

Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I already ruined 1 hobby by making it my job, and brewing became my new keep-me-sane hobby. So I'm hoping to stay amateur- I don't think that will be a hard goal to attain.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

For some people spending long hours brewing beer is much better than the job they are currently in. Just sayin.

I kind of like my job, and brewing is not an escape, but rather an interesting hobby that challenges my less than perfectionist nature, satisfies my DIY craving, and in the end I have beer!

I'd hate to learn to hate beer because it was a stressful job. For every Jim Koch and Sam Calgione, there are numerous failures.

Then again, many of the stresses are caused by the distribution fights, which aren't a problem if you only want to serve on premises...

Quick Reply