New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saving or Spending More Monday?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #41
MisterTipsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You can definitely save money very quickly, if you brew Belgian beers.

For example:

Lets say you have invested $500 in beer making gear. It costs about $1 a beer to make a Belgian strong ale. That is if you buy two $7 yeasts and buy Belgian candi sugar. It can obviously be done for less, but I'll use the less economical method for this example.

A good commercial Belgian ale costs $6 per beer or more, so you're saving $5 per beer. Therefore, it only takes 100 Belgian home brewed beers (two 5 gallon batches) to break even on the equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
jcdouglas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I see it as a way to divert expenditures from one area to another. For example, instead of paying more for extract, I use that money to buy equipment for all grain brewing. Another example, instead of spending money on more yeast, wash the yeast and use the savings to buy more equipment, etc., etc. Now that I've used up all my ideas to save money, I still buy more equipment. Whoops, now I just spend more and more money. Hey, at least I get to drink beer, while making beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply