Patent Pending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It means that he has applied for a patent on the design.

From the US patent Website:
1. What do the terms “patent pending” and “patent applied for” mean?

A. They are used by a manufacturer or seller of an article to inform the public that an application for patent on that article is on file in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The law imposes a fine on those who use these terms falsely to deceive the public.

I think prior art and public domain knowledge would disqualify any patent on this, unless he's claiming some kind of unique improvement.

There's databases around to look up patents and such. Someone could probably look up the application and see what he's claiming.

I do like the kegs with the fittings below and the cut outs for them to come through. i wish I had thought of that when setting up my keggle!

Anyone can file a patent on anything. Doesn't mean anything more than you've done the write-up and paid the fees.

Getting a patent is much tougher. Been there, done that, got the patent. Took four years and three reviews.

I do like the kegs with the fittings below and the cut outs for them to come through. i wish I had thought of that when setting up my keggle!

only if you were to go electric, can you say scorched wort. And putting a shield over the ports and valves if direct fired would hurt the efficiency of the burners to heat the water/wort ..

only if you were to go electric, can you say scorched wort. And putting a shield over the ports and valves if direct fired would hurt the efficiency of the burners to heat the water/wort ..

HLT wouldn't matter and MLT would be OK because you'd be recirculating during heating. Totally agreed on the BK.

Patent pending numbers would actually be the application number, not the patent number itself. That comes if it's granted. However, you could still be right about the blowing smoke.

Application Number

The number assigned by the Patent Office when a patent application is submitted. It is not the number that is assigned to a patent itself. In the US, the application number is a 2-digit series number followed by a slash and then a 6-digit serial number. (Example: 10/007521). For EP patents the application number is an 11-digit number where the first 4 digits indicate the filing year of the application. (Example: EP20010402190).

Patents, started out as a way to protect the little fish from the big fish, is now out of the reach of the little fish. It's all lawyered up and who ever has the most money wins.

Back