Others "trying" your homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully the people I give my beer to actually like beer and aren't scared to try homebrew. I think this might stem from the fact that they know I'm a beer nerd so maybe there's some sort of trust that I know what I'm doing. What they don't know is that I'm always flying by the seat of my pants when brewing. :drunk:

have to agree. coworkers and other people have asked to try as well, and it seems the same lame excuse of being to busy or "XXXXX came up". basically i'm just giving away beer and losing out on my bottles that i could be giving to real friends that will give me honest answers. i'm very reluctant now in giving out my beers and will usually only let people sample from the tap now.

If I am letting someone try one of my homebrews, it is after I open the cap of the bottle they are holding :)

Seriously though, if they are interested enough, I have them come over while I'm brewing, racking, or bottling or something. More to see than just "hey, try this beer [that wont likely taste like anything you've ever had] and let me know what you think." I figure, if someone is an acquaintance that I wouldn't have over at my house, then I don't care what they think about my beer.

Same here. I am happy to share, but I do not just simply give some random cretin one of my bottles to take home!

So far all who try like.....I do hate to loose bottles so I ask for them back as part of deal for trying my beer. I'm hurting for bottles so I got move up to kegging as I have 4 batches going right now and I only have just under a two cases of empties. I got two cases of bombers, & 5 cases of 12s ready to drink. Plus two cases going to my brother-in-law this weekend.

Man I wish bottles weren't 14.95 a case at LHBS.

Try asking for bottles back when you give them out see if that helps. I have some come back and some not...Some come back plus any other beers they drank that were pop top so that is great.

I never give anyone an unopened homebrew that has never tried my beer. If they have tried a bottle that I poured and were open to trying more beer, I'll give them a mixed six or something.

The problem is, if you don't let anyone else drink your beer, then you never get second opinions. I like have others try my beer, it gives me a feeling for the beer and if I'm hitting my marks. My boss is very much into my homebrew and gives me pretty taste notes, it's invaluable. The problem is, he now requests that I brew certain beers for him and even goes so far as to purchase the ingredients. It's good practice and I get beer out of the deal but I also loose some experimentation time. I make a Turbodog clone brew every month just for this reason. Don't get me wrong, it's good beer, but I also like stouts and porters which take up time in the fermenters as well.

I have the opposite problem. People drink it and go "it's good!" No actual feedback, just trying to be polite and not hurt my feelings.

I don't know if my problem is worse than this or not lol...I tell everyone when they try a beer of mine to be honest. It's not going to hurt my feelings if they do not like it...that just means more for me! I have a few friends that will provide good feedback, as well as the two guys I usually brew with. But I kinda like to hear from the "average" person (less in the know about beer) what they think. I won't likely turn someone down on sampling my beer, but I now have a blacklisted group of people haha.

As for those that say to invite them to my place for a brew...I'm sure some of you work with people you'd rather not invite to your place. I agree with Rubberband, if you don't let people try your beer you don't get second opinions...I'd rather just give them a bottle, until they don't drink it, then they get no more.

I have little 6 ounce plastic cups for 'testing' while the keg carbs, and if the temp is right. I will offer a small sampler from the tap in one of those cups. If they don't like it, no problem. If they do, I get a real glass for them. Very little from my pipeline gets bottled anymore.

I think the problem isn't the people receiving the beer, it's the silent expectation placed on them. What do we tell everybody here? RDWHAHB or whatever... same thing applies. If you expect an honest review then tell them up front by saying "Hey, this is the first time I've tried this style. Can you tell me what you think next week?" or something that lets them know you expect something in return. Personally, I think asking for the bottles back is in poor taste for anyone other than a fellow homebrewer or close friend.

I figure, if someone is an acquaintance that I wouldn't have over at my house, then I don't care what they think about my beer.

My thoughts, EXACTLY! (unless they have kids and the reason I don't invite them over is I don't want my dogs to eat their children)

The main reason I jumped into kegging so quickly was that I was tired of giving away half of my batches. By the time I covered shipping costs on my kits and bottled water, I was into it for about $45 per 5gal batch. As much as I like the joke in 40yr Old Virgin about "It's $9 beer night", I didn't actually want to do that at my house.

You can buy a case of San Miguel (small bottles) and use THOSE for samplers.

I have not run into that problem at all.
My dad even went to judging school to give me better feedback. I haven't felt comfortable giving beer to co-workers so I don't have experience there. I think you should label differently or provide instructions.
My cousin handed out pints of Apricot Ale at his wedding and he printed on the label: This is a homebrew beer, it is alive. Store in a dark cool place for 30 days. Refrigerate and pouring instructions. It was really well received and a great idea I have copied. I include my email address and facebook and people drop me notes from time to time.
You could do the same on a 3 x 5 card punch a hole and slide them around the neck. When you hand them out say something like This will be frshest for the next week, I'll want to know what you think then, or I will talk to you Thursday about your opinion. If I have people over I let them know I need pop top bottles and they will bring 6ers of whatever they can find, if they drink my beer they leave me theirs, if they don't they have some on hand they will like, win-win.

As far as people not tryin the beer, I'd say they aren't interested to begin with. Like the girl that says I'll call ya later... They are probably feigning interest because they think it is polite and easier then saying no. Don't press them on the issue, but don't brew anything more for them either.

I've given homebrew to coworkers, family, and friends before. My only grief is getting bottles back. Some never return them. Others plant them right in the middle of my desk at work as if I've been sitting there all day drinking.

Thanks dude. That'll help me get a raise.

I've given homebrew to coworkers, family, and friends before. My only grief is getting bottles back. Some never return them. Others plant them right in the middle of my desk at work as if I've been sitting there all day drinking.

Thanks dude. That'll help me get a raise.

Hey Man! Make labels! Add a drink by date to the label and problem solved! It will provide them with more info on the beer too.

My experiance is that most folks have not developed much of a critical palet and their feed back is usally kind but not much help. The most constructive critisim I get is from other homebrewers who have some understanding of what they are drinking and what it took to get it to their lips.

Everyone that tries any of my brews thinks the beer is far too heavy. They are absolutely disgusted that you cant see through the pint glass because the beer isn't water-clear. Also, the thought of having yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle makes them want to throw up. Now I only give samples to other homebrewers and people who enjoy a good craft beer.

I have given out lots of homebrew to co-workers, a few have been slow to drink which can be irritating. I have had pretty good luck I guess, for the most part, most people will give me back my bottles after the weekend. I have never been given a bad review yet...I attribute this to the fact that it's free:)

++1 for letting your LHBS staff try a beer, even if you lose a bottle or two. I give out few samples but I always give instructions like do NOT drink the sediment unless you have constipation issues.
My nephew-in-law(??) learned a valuable lesson that night, and next day too:D He also did not listen when I told him they were 6.8% not 3.2% ABV.
I get great feedback from him now;)

I've had these same experiences, so I have devised this solution.

I only provide samples on brew day, bottle day or racking day.
They must show up and earn the sample. (wash something, assist with something)
I still bottle and I bottle with swing tops, those bottles never leave the property.

I've had a generally positive experience with sampling and bottle return. Only had a couple folks wait months on a brew, and I have not had to do much more than say "Sure, I'll try and remember to get you a bottle" if a request for a new batch sneaks in there. Absent-minded is as absent-minded receives.

There have been a couple times where bottles came back unwashed but a strident "WTFDOOD" resolved that quick enough.

I think the problem isn't the people receiving the beer, it's the silent expectation placed on them. What do we tell everybody here? RDWHAHB or whatever... same thing applies. If you expect an honest review then tell them up front by saying "Hey, this is the first time I've tried this style. Can you tell me what you think next week?" or something that lets them know you expect something in return. Personally, I think asking for the bottles back is in poor taste for anyone other than a fellow homebrewer or close friend.

I don't completely agree with this...If someone says to me, "Wow, you brew your own beer, I'd like to try some." How could you not assume that means they want to drink your beer and let you know what they think? I suppose it is a silent expectation, but really, why would I think otherwise? I wouldn't tell someone I want to try their beer and then just sit it somewhere for months...I would rather them tell me they tried it and thought it was horrible and dumped it out than not drink it.

I do like your idea though, of being more upfront about what my asusmption is. I guess I'll just ask them upfront, "Are you actually going to drink it or let it sit around?"

I don't think asking for bottles back is poor taste, it's a form of recycling. I just let people know that I reuse bottles so if they feel like recycling through me they can bring it on back. Most people that do actually try my beer bring the bottles back. These people regularly get to sample my homebrew.

I don't completely agree with this...If someone says to me, "Wow, you brew your own beer, I'd like to try some." How could you not assume that means they want to drink your beer and let you know what they think?

Are you serious? I would interpret that as: "Wow, you brew your own beer, I'd like to try some."

Sometimes a beer is just a beer.

It doesn't need to be judged, rated and returned with a paragraph about the experience. It needs to be enjoyed. If I give someone my beer and they like it, the transaction was successful.

I can understand the frustration behind them not drinking it -- why ask? -- but we're in danger of coming off as pretentious dicks here. I'm not brewing the goddamn polio vaccine, so I'm not going to require Level 3 Clearance to let people drink it.

I can understand the frustration behind them not drinking it -- why ask?

exactly. Why ask if you aren't going to drink it?

It doesn't need to be judged, rated and returned with a paragraph about the experience. It needs to be enjoyed. If I give someone my beer and they like it, the transaction was successful.

Right, I don't expect an essay...I just want to know if they liked it or did not like it. AKA, they drank it.

Are you serious? I would interpret that as: "Wow, you brew your own beer, I'd like to try some."

Maybe it's my own failed logic...But that is what I would mean if I asked to try something of someone elses. If you made a great lasagna and I said I'd like to try it, I fully intend to eat it, not let it sit in my car for 3 months in 90 degree temps and have it get ruined. I don't think my line of thinking is off here.

I don't think asking for bottles back is poor taste said:
I'm with you the bottle deal. I sometimes ask for bottles back but by sharing my homebrews with co-workers, I have also reaped a new benefit. Some of my coworkers will bring in bottles that I can use. Living in a state with bottle deposit laws, they are bringing in $4.80 for two cases of bottles and giving it to me. It's not a fortune but it is a lot of bottles and it shows me that they appreciate my beer. It has also solved some of the bottle issues as well, I now have enough bottles where I don't need to ask for any back. I still usually get them back but I don't generally have to ask.

Hey Man! Make labels! Add a drink by date to the label and problem solved! It will provide them with more info on the beer too.
Just what I was thinking, something like "Best by May, 1, 2010", or "Best if drunk by 10 a.m". :D

It's better when friends try my beers and wines when we're socializing. I can educate them about the process and talk about the character of the drink. I do give some of my wines away to special friends, but generally not my homebrewed beers, mostly because of the yeast sediment thing. I don't trust that they'll let it settle sufficiently after transporting it, or pour it carefully enough to avoid the last ounce or two. It would reflect on my craft even if it they had handled the beer badly.

With my wines it's no big deal, I usually give it away after a year of ageing and if they hold onto it for another year or two it should only get better. When partying I usually like to do it as a tasting, opening several different bottles at the same time.

I ask for bottles back but don't worry if I miss some since I've collected a big stock. Losing cappers is no problem but I've learned to never give away my ceramic top bottles.

I gave a friend a bomber of Cream of Three Crops today, I don't expect him to like it I told him he HAD to drink it out of the glass because there was a fair bit of yeast in the bottom that would throw off the flavor if it got poured or mixed into the beer. He didn't seem to understand the concept and proceded to twist the bottle every which way trying to see this yeast. Last I saw the beer it was a cloudy wreck.

I am with Monty though, I know my beer isint bad I gave the beer to him as a nice gesture, don't expect any thing in return for it, is a CoTC anyways...

Sometimes a beer is just a beer.

I can understand the frustration behind them not drinking it -- why ask? -- but we're in danger of coming off as pretentious dicks here. I'm not brewing the goddamn polio vaccine, so I'm not going to require Level 3 Clearance to let people drink it.

I love this answer. Que sera, sera.

Find out what beer they like to drink.
Buy a 6-pack, remove the labels and replace it with one of yours.
They'll either love it, or say it tastes like one of their favorties and wonder what all the fuss is about when they can just stick with what they drink.
:D

It seems that anyone who is interested in drinking my beer arrives at my front door complete with their own glass and stays until either I throw them out or the beer is gone.

All the local home brewers that are in my area that I share with go all out to return the favor. Most of them don’t brew often so even if they don’t have any homebrew to return I am always invited over a few days later to try out their newest finds at the local beer store which is fine by me. That gives me a chance to sample more beers I haven’t and if I like them I then try to clone them. Just the other week I bottled up a bunch of beers that I was going to enter in a contest but unfortunately the HBS that was the drop off spot closes early on Fridays which I didn’t know about so I couldn’t get my entries in after work. Anyway I have two older college guys that live in a home next to mine that heard that I brewed and asked if they could see how it’s done so I gave them my entries and told them to let me know what they thought and if it was something that they wanted to get into I would be more than happy to help them out. All I asked is that they returned my bottles.

I guess I should have told them no hurry in returning the bottles since all 12 were empty the next morning by my back door. Last night I came home from work and they were having a little get together next-door and the next thing I knew my basement was full of guys going nuts over my setup. I was surprised that almost all of them preferred my Dogfish Head 120 clone over the more tame beers. They even offered to buy the beers. So instead of selling them beer I let them all sample what they wanted and invited everyone over for a brew day this Sunday. I have enough equipment to do a 10 and 5 gallon batch at the same time so I told them to come over and help me brew a batch and if they want to continue to learn if they want to but the grains I will loan them my 5 gallon setup and my fermenting room. That way I can have them back over to rack, filter, bottle and keg my beer with theirs.:) And I will also be more than happy to let them mill all the grains with my little hand mill! So this weekend will be interesting to say the least.

I brought a home brew sample pack to my family's for Easter. My mom tried some of a pale ale I brewed. Her response "oh this is good, it tastes like it has ginger in it" (i loathe spices so I was very offended to hear this). They got no more of the home brew sampler pack. I did leave them with a few of my more disgusting brews. I can only hope that they will never ask to try my beer again.

Latest posts

Back