One gallon batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamason_2000

Reaction score
Been brewing for a little over three years now. Looking at refining and increasing the quality of my brews. I am looking into single one gallon batches. They should yield right at 8 twelve ounce beers each. Other than my fermenters and typical equipment, what else do you guys think I should have on hand to get really great beer one gallon at a time?

There's a VERY long thread here on HBT that is dedicated to one gallon brewing. Do a search and try to find it... it's got a ton of info.

In general, there aren't any major differences. You might want a scale that does tenths of grams for small hop additions... Amazon sells small digital scale like that for about $10.

Be prepared to split up yeast so you are not over pitching. One gallon batches are essentially the same as 5 or 10. Most ingredients are designed to be used in 5 gallon increments. Storage can become a problem.

Thanks guys, allready have 2-1 gallon wine jugs for primary and secondary fermenters. Well I figure this will allow for more experimentation, it will also cut my cost down dramatically. Not that I mind brewing 5 gal batches at a time( currently have an epic stout in my primary 6 gallon bucket)!

I have pretty decent 1 gallon set up. The good part is you can drew it with just basic kitchen stuff. I made a 3 gallon mash tun for mine, I have about 7 fermentors because you can store them way easier than I can my 5. The batches are cheap, $10-$20. You can get additional fermentors is packs of 4 with airlocks and blow off tubing for $35 on northern brewer. Brooklyn brewshop sells them for $20 a piece and a book on small batch brewing for the same. If you order more than $45 on the site they ship for free. Small batch is great because you can control the taste very easily, and if I botch a batch or try a experiment that doesnt pan out I am only out 1 gallon and a few bucks. If it works well and I love the batch I will knock out 5 gallons of it.

I have pretty decent 1 gallon set up. The good part is you can drew it with just basic kitchen stuff. I made a 3 gallon mash tun for mine, I have about 7 fermentors because you can store them way easier than I can my 5. The batches are cheap, $10-$20. You can get additional fermentors is packs of 4 with airlocks and blow off tubing for $35 on northern brewer. Brooklyn brewshop sells them for $20 a piece and a book on small batch brewing for the same. If you order more than $45 on the site they ship for free. Small batch is great because you can control the taste very easily, and if I botch a batch or try a experiment that doesnt pan out I am only out 1 gallon and a few bucks. If it works well and I love the batch I will knock out 5 gallons of it.

This is my plan going forward.

Latest posts

Back