New grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
So I picked up a used food grade 60L barrel today. $30. Works pretty well for storing grain.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399512000.602537.jpg

Here it is with a full 55lb bag of 2-row
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399512052.381242.jpg

Here it is with 63lbs of loose 2-row and 19lbs of various other grains.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399512162.512356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Me likey. Just bought my first bulk grain. Now I'm wondering where the hell to store it?!?! I want this

Me likey. Just bought my first bulk grain. Now I'm wondering where the hell to store it?!?! I want this

I found mine by fluke. I was looking at one of these. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399513118.835027.jpg
Same basic thing. 60L barrel. They can be found at camping stores. Use for canoe tripping.

That is pretty nice. Could be much easier than using 5 gallon food grade buckets. Is the lid screw on and have a gasket?

I bought a couple homer buckets with the gamma seal screw on lids. I think the buckets were <$3 and the lids <$7. 5gal bucket holds ~25# of grain.

That is pretty nice. Could be much easier than using 5 gallon food grade buckets. Is the lid screw on and have a gasket?

Yup. Screw top with nice thick rubber seal.

Links/brand names/manufacturers?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Don't have any links. But the blue barrels can be bought from camping stores. They aren't screw on but have a metal clasp that closes tight. If you do an internet search for used olive barrels you can fined ones like mine.

I also use 5 gallon buckets and Gamma lids. I keep all my specialty grains in Lock and Lock style containers of various sizes. I have some shelves (need more) so everything is easily accessible.

Would love to see some pics of you're storage setup. I was going to use buckets with gamma lids but in canada they are hard to find. If I order them online they're around $12-$16 for one lid. Plush shipping.

I also use 5 gallon buckets and Gamma lids. I keep all my specialty grains in Lock and Lock style containers of various sizes. I have some shelves (need more) so everything is easily accessible.

Would love to see some pics of you're storage setup. I was going to use buckets with gamma lids but in canada they are hard to find. If I order them online they're around $12-$16 for one lid. Plush shipping.

Quick google found this..

A bit spendy, but $25 less than what new seems to go for. Bookmarked for purchase down the road sometime.

That's a little over priced. I live in canada where everything is expensive and those barrels used are around $35-50. You should be able to find it for cheaper.

Back