My krausen is playing hide and seek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
I brewed up an Alt on Tuesday (Jan 6) and by the next morning I had a couple inches of krausen and all seemed to be going well. Oddly enough when I checked on the beer that night about 90% of the krausen had disappeared but the beer was still fermenting strong. The next morning I checked on the beer again and the krausen was back and was about a couple inches thick. Last night I look again and the krausen is completely gone. Its still fermenting strong and besides the lack of krausen it seems to be fine.

I used WLP029 and used part of the yeast cake that I used in my Kolsch that I racked from primary the day I brewed.

I've seen beers do some weird things during fermentation but I haven't seen anything like this before. Has anyone else experienced this or know why something like this might happen? :confused:

I'm thinking this....
I used WLP029 and used part of the yeast cake that I used in my Kolsch that I racked from primary the day I brewed.

Sounds like you have lot of happy healthy yeast happening, but for some strange reason rather than just blowing off (and needing a tube), maybe it blows enough to just collapse and fall into the beer, then rebuild itself...

Too bad you didn't have a camera pointed at it taking shots ever few minutes, I bet it would be crazy to see in time relase mode/

:mug:

Back