Is my Closet Brewery safe from bug bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amscheip

Reaction score
Apparently I have some nasty neighbors that have been causing a bug problem for the past few months so our apartment complex is sending in exterminators to bug bomb the entire building. I was thinking about calling the front office and asking them to delay the bombing (I haven't seen any bugs in the past week so its improved) but in case I can't keep them out of my apartment, will my carboys be safe inside my closet? I have 2-3 gallon and 1-1 gallon going all with airlocks (not sure if this makes a difference or not) in my closet. I was thinking about just closing my closet door and putting a towel underneath the door to prevent the chemicals from getting inside. Should I start thinking about how to move and store my fermenting carboys while I'm at work or will I be ok?

Yikes. I'd be nervous too, but I'm not sure the bug bombers would be a problem. Can you put the carboys in garbage bags and seal them up?

I'd be worried about getting bug spray on my other equipment like the autosiphon, wine thief, spare airlocks, etc. Maybe keep that stuff in the car for a couple days?

If they are using bug bombs, they will probably open all the closet/cabinet doors to allow the bug spray to cover all surfaces. I would definitely go with the trash bag idea for the carboys, and either remove or trash bag any other brewing gear you don't want covered with bug spray.

If possible remove ALL your brewing equipment before the bombing!!!!! If not seal up everything you brew with as airtight as you can.

Ok thanks guys, great idea, I'll go ahead and put my carboys in trash bags and put all my brewing equipment in the car during work. I'm really thinking about asking the people at the front desk to reimburse me if I end up having to dump my batches (I'm still a beginner so every gallon counts!)

Yeah, definitely seal everything up. If using glass carboys I wouldn't worry too much about them (still would put them in plastic bag and make sure my airlocks were topped off), but if I was using plastic buckets/carboys I would try my best to take them out of the appt or seal the crap out of them. I would be worried that the plastic would absorb 'flavoring' from the bombs.

If the whole building has infestations, the last thing you want is to not have your unit sprayed, or that is where their new home will be. 2X on bagging up your nectar of the gods.

Yup,no spray in your unit,even your yard living in a house equals everything coming your way. And bug bombs are much like a tear gas canister in how they work. Set it off in general areas of the house with everything open,everything you don't want covered in the stuff covered & sealed. That damn stuff gets into everything. I hate'em...save for the house we sold with the dirt crawlspace. Man,those spiders looked like red leg tarantulas & were the size of a 50c piece at least. We put a bug bomb in the crawl space & that stuff came up into the house in leaky spots. PU...
I'd move my stuff elsewhere till it settles & gets cleaned up. Spraying isn't as bad as bug bombs. The bombs are way messier.

Heck, I'd double bag the fermenters. One sealed at the top and other over that with the opening facing down. Belt and suspenders. Maybe attach a note so the exterminators know not to monkey around with them.

I don't like bug bombs in occupied space period.
Beyond your carboys & brewing equipment, there are just too many things that will be exposed to the gasses.
Dinner plates, food in a pantry, your bed pillows, etc etc.

If you don't have a bug problem, I would request that they spare your apartment. But that's just me. Chemicals scare me.

That's why I think spraying is better. Carpet steam cleaners have things you can add to the cleaner tank to get rid of pests. The carpet is a breeding ground.

Damn. I'd try to get out of the lease and move. Do you live next to Joe's apartment? Are there parts of the country where this is routine? Do you have a friend that will let you put your stuff at his/her place?

They've postponed bombing the place because the neighbor who started this whole thing is still refusing service so they have to evict him before they can do anything. I've got until Friday. I think I'll just double bag my carboys and move all my other equipment out onto the porch. As far as my food utensils and all that I'll just wash them before use. I feel like I don't really have an option here as they are going to bomb our building whether I let them do my apartment or not. If I refuse service all the fleeing little buggers will poor into my place anyways. If this doesn't solve our pest issue I'll start looking for a new place

Bug bombs are the laziest way possible to deal with a pest problem.
My opinion is that your land lord should hire a pest control company to treat the building properly.
I am sure it would be costly, maybe you can talk to your neighbors about pooling money together to hire one.

I would check hud.gov in the tenant rights section, to see if this is even legal.

Specifically you want Tenent/Landlord laws. My MIL printed them out for us when we were newlyweds. too many cheap slumlords out there...

Back