my brother went to austria....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
and no, he didn't bring me a lousy t-shirt, he brought some beer!

:)

I have to say that I have never, EVER tried something like this. First the color - reddish crisp clear...

The flavor just knocked me down to the floor. I'm not sure if there is really honey in there, or is it just malt that feels like honey. Second flavor is tea biscuit, very strong and well defined...

Brother said that some monks in Salzburg brew this beer and that you can actually get it directly from barrels if you get your ass there :)

The other option is that you buy bottled version....

The beer is Augustiner Brau - Fasten Bier from Salzburg

this is the bottle

11032010895.jpg

I just felt that I have to share this with you guys. :mug:

is there anybody who tried this? I would pay for this recipe :)

I've never had that one, but I get that "honey" flavor from a lot of really good German lagers. If you figure out which ingredient it is that makes it taste like that, then let us know.

I was fortunate enough to experience Oktoberfest in Munich a few years ago. Augustiner was my hands down favorite brew. Don't know if thus Austria version is related to the Munchen version. My understanding (as explained to me at the time in broken Englisher) is that the Munchen version is made at a brewery there acquired from the monks by private german interests and they have attempted to stick with the original recipe's while increasing market size. Speculating, it would not surprise me if the Austria verison you have come from the same monks. Kick arse beer!

I have to say that I have never, EVER tried something like this. First the color - reddish crisp clear...

The flavor just knocked me down to the floor. I'm not sure if there is really honey in there, or is it just malt that feels like honey. Second flavor is tea biscuit, very strong and well defined...

Brother said that some monks in Salzburg brew this beer and that you can actually get it directly from barrels if you get your ass there :)

I just felt that I have to share this with you guys. :mug:

is there anybody who tried this? I would pay for this recipe :)

Have you tried using Honey Malt in your beers? It's the Canadian equivalent of German Brumalt and will leave the beer with a nice sweetness and a honeyesque aroma.

I make an ale with that and 2-row that has a pleasant reddish color, a mild crisp flavor and a little bit of biscuit flavor at the end.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
1.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.11 %
7.50 gal Austin, TX Water
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Fermented two weeks at 60*
Cellared 1 week at 65ish*
Cold carbed 1 week at 35* at 9PSI

That's the recipe I used last time. It was fairly good, but drank green (a friend asked me to make some for a house warming party a month out.)

The next time I make it (hopefully weekend after this one if the move goes well) I'm going to add 3/4 a pound of 2 row and 1/2 a pound of Honey Malt instead of the dextrose. The hops used were just to get to ~20 IBU with what I had on hand.

This recipe is so sweet that it's almost a dessert beer. Several people congratulated me on making a good honey Hefeveissen.

Normally I like to let that one age for 2 months or so from pitching, 4 on the yeast and 4 more in bottles. At 6 weeks it has a very distinct grainy taste that is almost completely gone by 8 weeks. When it's done it has also left me a yeast cake in the bottle so firm that you can turn the bottle upside down with no brown in the glass.

General Notes for using Honey Malt:
Think of it as Crystal 20L. It will leave a fairly sweet flavor behind.
It makes for a reddish beer. For some reason Beersmith color estimation doesn't know this.
5% will give you a hint of honey in the nose
10% will give you a good honey smell and a taste that people will assume is honey if you mention it.
20% will taste like mead is "supposed" to taste like.
>20% I dunno yet. But I plan to make a braggot with 50% honey malt 50% honey just to see.

If I were trying to replicate the beer that 400d had, I'd probably go with something like this:
8 Lb Munich
1Lb Honey Malt
1.5 oz Hallertauer @ 60minutes

With a standard lager yeast and schedule. (I don't do lagers though.)

I was fortunate enough to experience Oktoberfest in Munich a few years ago. Augustiner was my hands down favorite brew. Don't know if thus Austria version is related to the Munchen version.
The Augustiner in Munich and the one in Salzburg are unconnected. Salzburg Augustiner is still owned and run by monks and the brewery is an a monastery. Their beerhall is one of my favourite pubs anywhere on the planet.

The Augustiner in Munich and the one in Salzburg are unconnected. Salzburg Augustiner is still owned and run by monks and the brewery is an a monastery. Their beerhall is one of my favourite pubs anywhere on the planet.

this is exactly what my brother said to me, because my first reaction to this beer was the same, I thought of Augustiner from Munich.

no, it's completely different.... :mug:

I lived in Austria during college in the winter of 2005. I've always said that Austria is very much an under-appreciated wine and beer country.

Austria's Lagers are quite amazing also. My personal favorite beers were Die Weisse, Ottakringer, and Weiselburger. Oh the good memories.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
1.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.11 %
7.50 gal Austin, TX Water
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Fermented two weeks at 60*
Cellared 1 week at 65ish*
Cold carbed 1 week at 35* at 9PSI

That's the recipe I used last time. It was fairly good, but drank green (a friend asked me to make some for a house warming party a month out.)

The next time I make it (hopefully weekend after this one if the move goes well) I'm going to add 3/4 a pound of 2 row and 1/2 a pound of Honey Malt instead of the dextrose. The hops used were just to get to ~20 IBU with what I had on hand.

This recipe is so sweet that it's almost a dessert beer. Several people congratulated me on making a good honey Hefeveissen.

Normally I like to let that one age for 2 months or so from pitching, 4 on the yeast and 4 more in bottles. At 6 weeks it has a very distinct grainy taste that is almost completely gone by 8 weeks. When it's done it has also left me a yeast cake in the bottle so firm that you can turn the bottle upside down with no brown in the glass.

General Notes for using Honey Malt:
Think of it as Crystal 20L. It will leave a fairly sweet flavor behind.
It makes for a reddish beer. For some reason Beersmith color estimation doesn't know this.
5% will give you a hint of honey in the nose
10% will give you a good honey smell and a taste that people will assume is honey if you mention it.
20% will taste like mead is "supposed" to taste like.
>20% I dunno yet. But I plan to make a braggot with 50% honey malt 50% honey just to see.

If I were trying to replicate the beer that 400d had, I'd probably go with something like this:
8 Lb Munich
1Lb Honey Malt
1.5 oz Hallertauer @ 60minutes

With a standard lager yeast and schedule. (I don't do lagers though.)

I found a site of this brewery. It's in English: http://www.augustinerbier.at/?id=21&L=

They mention reinheitsgebot, but I thought that this law forbids using specialty malts... is this true?

if it is, than they must achieve this honey-biscuit flavor in some other way...

The reinheitsgebot prohibits the use of non-barley adjuncts, but most specialty grains are barley that's had strange things done to it.

Honey Malt (and presumably Brumalt) is barley that was starved for oxygen during a high temperature malting process. That oxygen starvation is what gives it the unique aroma and flavor, but it's still barley so it's fine under the German food purity law.

Munich malt is a barley base grain that's been kilned to a higher temperature to give it a reddish color and a biscuitty flavor.

It's close enough to a law in the hearts and minds of monks using the same recipe since it was enforced. And it's their recipe that he wants to replicate.

It was funny when Budweiser was the official "beer" of the Oympics over there and wouldn't be considered beer by the laws they used pre-EU days though.

Fastenbier is what you drink during Lent when you are "fasting"...;)

"Augustiner" refers to the beer brewed by St. Augustine monks.

everybody knows everything about this beer, except the recipe :D

and what makes it different from a "non fasting" beer? are you trying to say that the beer that I tried is available only for 40 days in one year? only during Lent?

I believe Bill taught the ancient monks the recipe :D

And weren't you primary author on the reinheitsgebot? :D

(I just like to give you crap since you have ferementers older than me!)

A little late on the response, but I had to chime in on Augustiner Brau. We were in Austria and Germany last September during Oktoberfest. While in Salzburg for 2 nights we managed to go to Augustiner Brau three times, it is my favorite place on earth. They were only serving one beer, their Marzen, which they pour straight from the barrel. The beer was exceptional, so drinkable. If you ever have the chance, this place is worth the trip.

Back