mainstays in your brewing pantry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking about what things (grains, specialty grain, yeasts, adjuncts, etc) are you never without?

For me:
-I get a new bag of 2row before the previous runs out. I'm not close enough to a LHBS to make a special trip.
-The beers I brew, biscuit and chocolate malt get used regularly
-crystal 40 and 80 split the difference from the high to low.
-fuggles and EKG are hops that seem to be used in quite a few of the recipes on here, so I try to keep them on hand.

What things would you add to the list?

Rarh 2 row or Thomas fawcett marris otter
Lately I've been hooked on Thomas fawcett pale chocolate and all of there crystal malts
citra, simcoe, amarillo, cascade and warrior

I keep a huge supply year round. I stock up heavy when I order grain, hops, etc.

Grains (I keep hundreds of pounds on hand):
  • 2-row Pale malt
  • German Pils malt
  • Munich malt
  • Cara Munich malt
  • Aromatic malt
  • Amber malt
  • Biscuit malt
  • Honey malt
  • White Wheat malt
  • Torrified Wheat
  • UK Chocolate
  • Roasted Barley
  • Brown malt
  • Caramel 20
  • Caramel 40
  • Caramel 60
  • Caramel 120

Hops:
  • Cascade
  • Amarillo
  • Summit
  • Magnum
  • Nugget
  • Fuggle
  • Hallertau
  • Saaz

Yeast:
  • US-05
  • S-04
  • W-34/70

The rest I order on demand from either the LHBS (if they have it, usually not), or from online retailers.

20121019_195209.jpg

And the rest:
20121019_195219.jpg

I keep at least 20 lbs of Rahr or GW 2-row around at all times. When I get to that point I'll go ahead and get another 50 lbs sack. Specialties are biscuit, chocolate, cara-pils, honey and crystal something, I change my mind frequently. For brews that need grains other than that, I'll make a special trip to the LHBS. I've currently got about 7 lbs of hops of varying quantities of Apollo, Cascade, US Goldings, Styrian Goldings, Nugget, Willamette, CTZ, Nelson Sauvin, Citra, and Motueka.

I usually keep about 150-200# of base malt, split between pale, maris otter, pilsen, and 2-row. I have about 18 specialty malts and have most any hop I would need. Right the hop freezer has Simcoe, Amarillo, Ahtanum, Fuggles, Goldings, zythos, cluster, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, Galaxy, mt. hood, willamette, and some more I am too lazy to check on. I have US-05 in the fridge and I pick-up liquid yeast from Rebel Brewer, which is just 5 minutes from my house:D

bertsbeer said:
I have US-05 in the fridge and I pick-up liquid yeast from Rebel Brewer, which is just 5 minutes from my house:D

Oh, I forgot yeast. I always have some relatively fresh harvested US-05 on hand. I also have some harvested S-23 and WB-06, but they're kind of old. They're in the freezer, though, so imagine they'll still be good by the time I need them next. I also have some local yeast fermenting a 1/2 gallon batch, so if that turns out well I'll save that, too.

one full bag of two row and leftovers from the last one
5 packs of us-05
wine yeast for apfelwein and skeeter pee
cascades
Magnums/colombus for bittering
starsan

paint strainer bags for dry hopping and use with my hop spider thing.

2 Row, right now Weyermann pale ale
Maris Otter
A few pounds of specialty grains
A large assortment of hops in amounts from pounds to an ounce.

And my frozen yeast bank:

Pacific Ale
Neobrittania
English Ale
Edinburgh Ale
Denny's Favorite 50
California Lager
Burton Ale
American Wheat Ale

Plus packets of US05

I just got grain mill a couple days ago, so what I'm planning on is having on hand is, US 2 row, Munich, white wheat, rye, C40/80/120, special b, special roast, extra special malt... that should cover the vast majority of my American Style recipes.

I currently have a pound or more of Willamette, Nugget, Summit, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, Cluster, and Glacier. Also at least a few ounces of Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Citra, Palisade, Athanum, El Dorado, Calypso, Warrior, Target, Mt Hood, and Crystal.

For yeast I have US-04, US-05, WLP 007, 410, Wyeast 1728, 1450, and some various Belgian strains.

I think a lot of people here could put together a pretty big inventory list, but i think the OP's asking what ingredients are essential enough that you can't be without. Here's my list:

2-row
White wheat
Vienna
Munich
Caramel 40,60

Simcoe
Amarillo
Cascade
Warrior
Northern brewer
A noble hop
A spicy hop

S-05, S-04
Wyeast 2112
Wyeast 3068

Probably missing something, but there you go.

My reply wasn't an inventory list. My inventory list would add another 75% or so to my "essentials" list. The remaining ingredients are various roasted/toasted malts, Maris Otter, etc., plus some liquid yeasts. I like having the option to brew many different styles with my staple ingredients on hand, so I keep a large amount of them stocked.

I think a lot of people here could put together a pretty big inventory list, but i think the OP's asking what ingredients are essential enough that you can't be without.

Yeah, this is what I meant. I like to see what people carry stock of and see if it is something I should have on hand. Plus, this is something for noobs to look at and see what buying in pound quantities are worthwhile. When I started buying, I seen that a lot of recipes had various dark grains so bought a bunch. It wasn't until I got farther into recipes that I realized they only used 1 to 4 ounces per recipe. And I also seen that many were interchangeable.

Since I am by no means experienced enough to give advice on a nice staples list, I thought this was a neat way to give others some good ideas. All the responses so far have been helpful! :mug:

My reply wasn't an inventory list. My inventory list would add another 75% or so to my "essentials" list. The remaining ingredients are various roasted/toasted malts, Maris Otter, etc., plus some liquid yeasts. I like having the option to brew many different styles with my staple ingredients on hand, so I keep a large amount of them stocked.

I think as people view through each brewers list, it will be obvious to what extent they brew. Great pictures of your storage and layout Tiber!

Standard Base malts I buy by the sack: Rahr 2 row, Best Malz Munich, Best Malz Pilsner, Golden Promise, German Wheat.

I keep a wide range of crystal and caramel malts on hand - 2-4lbs of each.

Roast malts - chocolate, roast barley, black patent, pale chocolate, coffee kiln, brown malt

I keep aromatic, melanoiden, acidulated malt on hand.

Flaked Oats - put .5-1 lbs in about 75% of the beers I make
I have others as well, but those are probably my "never run out" grains.

Hops I buy in bulk: Magnum, Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Falconers Flight, Cascade, Centennial, Sazz, Hallertau, Wilamette, Glacier, Perle.....?

Always keep SA-05 on hand "in case"

Yeast - generally have a fresh pack or mason jar of saved yeast of the following: 1056, 1469, 1007 - those would be my go-to yeasts for most ales. Buy my lager yeasts depending on what I am brewing.

I mainly just stock up on hops.. Leaf hops. I brew alot of IPA's and Pales, and I like using leaf mostly for my system.

Grain wise... I don't have a mill, or need a mill. I go to my LHBS and get my grain and get it milled. It's easy, it's fresh and it's cheap. No need for me to save $5 bucks a bag over getting my grain when I need it.

Back