Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
I've cruised the pictures and recipes sections, and I can get a general idea of the styles of beer that everyone is partial to. With that being said, I found myself asking myself one question, "Am I the only person on the face of the Earth that thinks IPA is utterly nasty?" I understand the whole "different strokes for different folks" mantra, and I know that everyone has different tastes, but MAN, I cannot fight through the initial blast my taste buds take trying to down the first sip of an IPA. I love pretty much all other ales, porters, weizens, wits, lagers, bocks, and good, hoppy stouts. Maybe I'm just weird, I don't know. I just noticed that I am in the minority here.

My favorite "couple friends" are brewers also. He loves malty beers, hates hoppy beers, and she loves IPAs and APAs. His brother loves IPAs. His brother's wife likes most beer, regardless of style.

I think we all like what we like. I was at their house this week visiting, and they had an Irish red and a Scottish wee heavy on tap- which he loved. I brought IPA and APA and a blonde, so we had a good balance. All of the beers disappeared, but I only drink one Scottish, and I doubt he had any IPA or APA.

It's great, because there are lots of malty beers out there, and lots of IPAs so we can all choose what we like.

Yep, you're crazy, should probably see a doctor if you don't like a good hoppy IPA.

Funny! But to be honest, you could do an "MKUltra" treatment on me and force-feed me straight hops for 174 days straight, and I still don't think I could take it.

Yep, you're crazy, should probably see a doctor if you don't like a good hoppy IPA.

That's pretty much the response I was expecting. I have friends that despise stouts. I am like, "Dude, are you crazy? What's not to like about a stout?" So, I know where you are coming from.

I will say that a friend of mine used to be absolutely adamant that he did not like IPAs. We worked at this for a while, and we discovered that he just does not like Cascade. Cascade is in so many IPAs that he just never tried one that didn't have it. Since this discovery, he's started to come around to IPAs. My point is only to stay open minded and try new things, because you never know when a given beer with a different combination of ingredients might just click.

I will say that a friend of mine used to be absolutely adamant that he did not like IPAs. We worked at this for a while, and we discovered that he just does not like Cascade. Cascade is in so many IPAs that he just never tried one that didn't have it. Since this discovery, he's started to come around to IPAs. My point is only to stay open minded and try new things, because you never know when a given beer with a different combination of ingredients might just click.

The world's first "Beer Intervention".

American ipa's are generally over hopped. Its a reaction Americans have evolved for making themselves distinct. Soon the pendulum will swing to sours and other niche flavors but balance will always remain the hallmark of good beer. It won't be long before the overhopped fruit bomb hop varieties are out of style.

American ipa's are generally over hopped. Its a reaction Americans have evolved for making themselves distinct. Soon the pendulum will swing to sours and other niche flavors but balance will always remain the hallmark of good beer. It won't be long before the overhopped fruit bomb hop varieties are out of style.

A witch! Burn him!

Cheers! ;)

Like coffee, IPAs were an acquired taste for me. First time I drank one I thought the enamel might come off my teeth. But the more I tried, the more "tolerance" I built up. Now I find myself drinking, and brewing, them fairly often. But there are still some days where my palate just isn't up for a hop bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No you are not clinically crazy. Definitely weird though :D, jest jest. You like what you like. As mentioned, someday you may love IPAs:mug:
Tom

until a few weeks ago, IPA stood for "it's pretty awful". had a few, and like you, thought they were disgusting. never finished one, they were all dumped. then, my f-n-law had one in a variety pack (don't remember the brand) and i gave it a try. now, IPA is "it's pretty awsome". i'll be brewing a 3 gallon batch of black IPA this weekend, hopefully it's somewhat close to sierra nevada's version.

I'm not sure what you want us to say OP.

I like hoppy beers because I like them.

You don't.

There we go!

These posts always interest me. Historically, I have not been a fan either, but have taken a liking to them recently. But I am still VERY picky about the ones I will buy a second time. Most are just too damn harsh.

For me, Bell's two hearted opened my eyes to the style. That is THE beer that I recommend people try before they give up on the style. If you don't like that beer, well stouts are great, too.

I hate Pumpkin Beer! :p

Heresy! Pumpkin Beer is but a gem lost to those infatuated with German Tradition! :ban:

OP - the trick with IPA's is to find one you like. I'm not a huge hop bomb fan either, but there are more than a few IPA's out there that I do like, and encourage me to find more.

IPA's are the rage, so there's going to be some terrible examples for the sake of selling beer to a trendy market - but there's also a lot of really great ones out there that are being over looked or passed on for the latest/greatest.

Heresy! Pumpkin Beer is but a gem lost to those infatuated with German Tradition! :ban:

OP - the trick with IPA's is to find one you like. I'm not a huge hop bomb fan either, but there are more than a few IPA's out there that I do like, and encourage me to find more.

IPA's are the rage, so there's going to be some terrible examples for the sake of selling beer to a trendy market - but there's also a lot of really great ones out there that are being over looked or passed on for the latest/greatest.

Here's the deal. We use to have a weekly, if you will, "beer aficionado's club", meeting after work in the parking lot. We use to select from a list of 5 or 6 beers, and the one with the most votes was the flavor of the week. Now, this is probably why I detest IPA...the winner one week was Dogfishhead IPA. Man, was that stuff RANK!!!!!! So, I never really gave IPA another shot. Like a lot of you here, I am VERY picky when it comes to beer. For example (and I know I am going to make some enemies here), Yuengling Lager is thumbs-down for me. The Black and Tan is good, but their lager I just can't take. But, that's not entirely fair to them, and this is why. I, like probably the rest of you here, are the world's best brewers. Just ask any of us, and we'll tell you. Our beers are leaps and bounds better than almost anything else out there. We probably all have 2 or 3 "store bought" brands that are our "go-to" or "emergency" beers, but for the most part, we all like our own the most. So, with all that being said, I may in the future, try my hand at an IPA so I can see what all the rage is about. I'll just have to find a good, balanced recipe. I do enjoy everyone's input on the subject.:mug:

I was never a fan of IPAs, but I keep trying them. I won't buy them, but when I visit friends and family they know I like craft beer and to them craft beer is IPA. So I've started to like certain ones, such as Ruthless Rye and Chain Breaker. Definitely an acquired taste for me. So I'd say try them, especially if they're free!

Back