Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Infected Beer? Any way to know?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
g1976b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Infected Beer? Any way to know?

I'm worried I may have my first infected beer. Is there any way to know for sure?

I essentially made a batch of the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. Everything went fine, and after giving it enough time in the secondary carboy, I cold crashed it, then moved it into the keg today.

It smelled great, and hasn't had any strange looking patches or bubbles anywhere. After getting it into the keg, I wanted to try some. There wasn't much left in the auto siphon, but I tasted a small bit. Smell was great but the taste was sour. I thought maybe it had been in contact with some leftover foam from the star san, so I poured a bit directly out of the carboy into a glass. Same thing....great smell, sour taste.

Any ideas? Will it mellow? Is it infected?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
yashicamat
Recipes 

Judging by what I've read on here, just give it time and if still no good, then give it more time!

Rob

Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Run it through the entire process through bottle conditioning for a month, then see...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply