How many times have you sold your equipment and started over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneticBrew

Reaction score
How many times have you sold your equipment and started over?

What were your reasons for selling?

What were your reasons for starting over?

I've sold my equipment once. Thought brewing made me look bad to those around me and was leery of having so much equipment around. Now I view it as a hobby and, from my point of view, it doesn't define who I am, anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

haven't sold anything but I started with extract Mr. Beer stuff. I had 3 mr beer lbk's couple of pots, giant cooler, etc. decided i wanted to go bigger and all grain and got 3 3 gallon bb's with bigger pots, wort chiller, burner, mash tun, converted freezer into ferm chamber, 2 tap keggerator, 4 kegs, etc. now i'm almost wishing i had gone to 5 gallons and 4 taps....uuugh this is an expensive hobby

Three different times. This (fourth time) is my last entry into the hobby and I will (hopefully) brew until I pass on.

I had an ok but really basic set with my first wife. No real temp control for fermentation and mostly just a crappy aluminum pot with some buckets. I got out b/c the beer sucked and money got tight.

Several years later I got back in at the urging of my second wife. I went whole hog and bought a custom stainless-steel three-tier brewing system. Beer was amazing but again money got tight and I let that go for some cash.

Then a few years later my third (and final!!) wife was pushing me to get back into it. I had bought a couple of items but hadn't actually brewed anything when I lost my job and was out of work for a year.

Now its no wife, no SWMBO, and I'm headed back in, boys!

Hey, wait a minute.... Is anyone else noticing a trend here?!?!

I sold most of my equipment while I built my house due to having to live in a few temporary houses and had no desire or space to move it. It was nice stuff in good condition so I didn't get soaked on the sale.

I'm all settled in my new house and treated myself to my dream system

Let's see, first was Mr. Beer kit; then a three tier stand with turkey fryers and welded legs, then the full on Brutus 10:

That makes 2 for me. I'm on the 3rd set.

if I ever sell my stuff it better be because i am doing it professionally and dont have time at home to brew. other than that ill sell my 3rd car before my beer stuff

Three different times. This (fourth time) is my last entry into the hobby and I will (hopefully) brew until I pass on.

I had an ok but really basic set with my first wife. No real temp control for fermentation and mostly just a crappy aluminum pot with some buckets. I got out b/c the beer sucked and money got tight.

Several years later I got back in at the urging of my second wife. I went whole hog and bought a custom stainless-steel three-tier brewing system. Beer was amazing but again money got tight and I let that go for some cash.

Then a few years later my third (and final!!) wife was pushing me to get back into it. I had bought a couple of items but hadn't actually brewed anything when I lost my job and was out of work for a year.

Wow, what a struggle. Sorry to read all that, man! Hope there's better days ahead.

I always get the impression that when people are selling their homebrew stuff, it's because they had alcohol problems.

Being new to the hobby my answer is no but what I do have that now looks like overflow can be sold to offset cost of upgrades. I assume everything I sell concerning this hobby will be for upgrades or due to upgrades. There is no HWMBO around here but if there were, the discussion of the hobby, the space and time suck it can be will be had. I assume the guy I end up with in life is going to be decent enough to accept that unless I turn into a raging drunk who can't focus on anything but beer.

That money issues were present with all wives. ;)
Try long term relationships; cheaper than marriage and I bet you'll be brewing longer than they may be around...playa'!

i haven't "started over" but my setup is constantly changing

I've never sold my equipment. I still have the 5 gal pot I used to brew on the stove with. I don't use it as a brew kettle, but it still gets some use around the brewery for other things (mainly to chill flasks). I still am using the same MLT for 20 years now.

I hope to build an electric brewery in the basement, but I'll still probably hang on to the old stuff.

Back