how caloric are our beers???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
Is there some way to guesstimate how many calories are in our beer from either the OG or FG?

just curious.

As per 'The Bible - companion edition'

Per 12oz serving:
Typical American Light Lager: 148kcal
German Wheat with yeast: 179kcal
German Doppelbock: 273kcal
Being able to make them yourself: Priceless!

I used to have this awesome spreadsheet with abv and calories of about 150 beers, it was clutch for refrerence. For kicks, I'll see if I can locate, and scan it for everyone.

Here is a java Beer Math Calculator which can calculate calories, among other things.

Chairman Cheyco said:
As per 'The Bible - companion edition'

Per 12oz serving:
Typical American Light Lager: 148kcal
German Wheat with yeast: 179kcal
German Doppelbock: 273kcal
Being able to make them yourself: Priceless!
148,000 calories in a beer! Holy crap!

:fro:

Beer has calories? :drunk:

I thought it was the perfect food. :confused: Next you guys will be saying there are calories in PIZZA, and we all know that's just crazy talk!!!

:D Ize

For all intents and purposes when everyone says 'calories' they are referring to kilo-calories. Of course, if I wasn't a dork, I would have submitted to the laziness of our cultural standards and typed 'calories.' But, I'm a dork.

:mug:

Chairman Cheyco said:
For all intents and purposes when everyone says 'calories' they are referring to kilo-calories. Of course, if I wasn't a dork, I would have submitted to the laziness of our cultural standards and typed 'calories.' But, I'm a dork.

Well, even though you're an engineer-type dork and not a literature-type dork thanks for not saying 'intensive purposes'!

ps was starting to think a black mamba had got ya

Baron von BeeGee said:
Well, even though you're an engineer-type dork and not a literature-type dork thanks for not saying 'intensive purposes'!

I would never do that! It seems I'm not the only one who misunderestimates around here.

ps I've seen a couple mambas, but have escaped both times...

Bert Grant's food analysis for his Scottish Ale

The recently deceased founder of Yakima Beverages, a famed Washington microbrewery, Bert Grant was a Canadian brewery chemist in the 1940s when the discoveries were made that beer was an ideal source of B-complex vitamins. Armed with this personal history, he had his favorite microbrew analyzed by Seibel Laboratories.

Satisfied, but not surprised, with the results, he configured a sticker containing the analysis to attach to the beer's sixpack cartons so that his customers could make appropriate decisions as do with other common foods. The lab's report included the following nutritional data in a single bottle:

calories, 145
protein, 2.24 grams
carbohydrates, 12.7 grams
fat, none
cholesterol, none
sodium, 8 milligrams
potassium, 195 milligrams

Recommended Daily Allowances

calories, 5.4%
protein, 4.0%
Riboflavin (B2), 4.6%
Niacin, 14.5%
folacin, 62.5%
pyroxin (B6), 13.9%
vitamin B12, 170.0%

It must be noted that putting nutritional information on beer and ale is illegal in the USA.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Does it really matter? I said I escaped!!

That would really depend.... if we were talking about snakes I'd say you were one thing, however if we were talking about the couple in your aviator I'd say you were another :D

Chairman Cheyco said:

Ob-geek: We should avoid the whole mess and speak only in terms of Joules.

In the US, kilocalories are usually capitalized as "Calories", to avoid confusion with "calories". Of course, no one knows that. ;) Hence the on-going myth that you can lose weight by drinking _really cold_ vodka tonics!

nosnhojr said:
...Hence the on-going myth that you can lose weight by drinking _really cold_ vodka tonics!

Wow! That's still going around? Hadn't heard it in a long time... you know, eating celery will make you loose weight too... lol!

It doesn't mattter to me how many calories are in a beer. When I get to drinking.... calories aren't going make me stop!!! :drunk:

The only thing that does is running out of HB, or my wife puttin her foot down!!!!

Who's counting besides you?

I don't think I even want to know how many calories there are in my beer. More of an ignorance is bliss thing.

Chimone said:
I don't think I even want to know how many calories there are in my beer. More of an ignorance is bliss thing.

This was my whole point with the pizza post. I don't really care. According to the latest study from the Institute of Who Gives a Crap, Dr's Dewey and Chietumanhou have determined that o2 is bad for your health due to the toxins inhaled, so breathing regular air should be avoided at all costs. Instead BUY this bottled air at whatever ridiculous price we give it, and you MAY live an Iota longer...

blah blah blah... Ize drunk again. Regardless, everything is bad for you accoding to someone. But I understand why some DO care.

And before I deleted it there was this long rambling diatribe here of how beer has calories no matter what. Then I figured out I could say it just like I did.

Then I realized Ize drunk again and was wondering what my point was.... :drunk:

Ize

Hang in there Ize!

"There was once a time when a man could just die......now he has to die "of" something."

-Me (didn't you just read it from a post of mine?)

Oh I know it Spyk'd, I just tire of hearing about how this is bad for you and that is bad for you. I've been on vacation this week, so drinking responsibly has not been high on the priority list. :D I just hope people take care of themselves no matter what!

Ize

I hear you brother!:fro:

Next time I'm up north(?) I'll have to look you up, I mean anyone that can work "diatribe" into a sentence in a home brew forum is my kind of guy!:p

We'll tilt a few back fer sure!:tank:

Spyk'd said:
Next time I'm up north(?) I'll have to look you up, I mean anyone that can work "diatribe" into a sentence in a home brew forum is my kind of guy!
We'll tilt a few back fer sure!:tank:

LOL! Lemme know, Beer and BBQ are usually on the menu! (Just ignore SWMBO, she just shakes her head at me anyway. :D )

Ize

Back