hop type recommendation for non beer lover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
My wife doesn't like beer. She'll drink cider (even the dry stuff) and Lambic though. But I'd like to do maybe a cherry cream ale for her, and I'm wondering which hops she might be ok with. Any hoppy beer or IPA she tastes, makes her actually feel sick, but she can sip a lighter Weiss and be fine. Or is it crazy to skip the hops all together? There are so many different types of hops, and then full, partial, short boil and then dry.

What is it about the hops that she doesn't enjoy? If the big west coast American IPAs give her problems, maybe try brewing some maltier European beers that stick to early bittering additions. Noble hops with low AA content like Saaz or Hallertauer play more supporting roles in the overall flavor.

Maybe wean her into the hop camp with some english mild, southern english brown ale or ordinary bitters, then slowly move to other countries that brew with more hops. I think its safe to say that for the most part, if someone is just starting out with hoppy beers they should stay away from a lot of the popular American craft brews for awhile.

Many people do not like hoppy beers and hops do have a sedative effect that can be unpleasant. Noble hops are lower AA, but it's really the recipe. Find something under 25 IBU and no more than 1 oz. of flavor + aroma hops. And stay away from the 3Cs.

Many people do not like hoppy beers and hops do have a sedative effect that can be unpleasant. Noble hops are lower AA, but it's really the recipe. Find something under 25 IBU and no more than 1 oz. of flavor + aroma hops. And stay away from the 3Cs.

As an example, she has an aversion to Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's the amount, and I think the type too. Cascade are a lot more aggressive than East Kent Goldings even in similar quantities.

Back